Review by Nerea -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terrorism is a deadly virus that has cost so many innocent lives today. Families have been wounded, traumatized, and have suffered a loss of a loved one. But the question is, will this virus cease to exist? If yes, who will end it?

Uri is a Metsada field agent from Israel, who speaks fluent Arab. Lara is an FBI agent who also speaks fluent Arab and can decode electronic messages, especially those that alarm danger. On the wake of the news about the nuclear bombing on the U.S (United States) soil, both Uri and Lara decide to work together with a mission to thwart terror attacks and bring the perpetrators to justice. The more they work together, the more emotional they become. Did they succeed in their mission to end terrorism? What about their love affair did it yield positive results?

East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick is a crime thriller that revolves around the American mission to terminate terrorism. In conjunction with other countries that share the same interest with them, they came up with strategies to track and decipher messages sent by the terrorist over the e-mail and a web network known as Opera. Their objective is to hinder the terror attacks and protect innocent Citizens.

The book’s strengths include the analytical introduction of each character and the numerous characters incorporated in the narrative. The characters manifest different personality and skills that makes the story sound realistic. For instance, Walid is one of the Hezbollah (the community from the east, responsible for the terror attacks in the west) recruit, who was radicalized in the year 1999. In 2013, he went to advance his Computer Science course in the U.S. Walid had to live a normal life to avoid causing any suspicion from his friends and colleagues about his main objective. He’d use his Computer Science skills to communicate with his accomplice from the east and execute tasks that were in line with his mission. Interestingly, he had regrets about the choices he had made in life because his choices negatively affected many of his friends and colleagues.

In conclusion, the book’s writing style is incredible. The narration is told from the author’s point of view conversationally. Additionally, the language used is pure and easy-to-understand. Furthermore, the book is professionally edited, though I found one grammar error on page 84 of the book. Remarkably, short and complex sentences are well-balanced. This aspect has a positive impact on the event and character description in the story.

I learned that technology can be used for a good cause, but also be misused to carry out selfish interests.

The story resonates with what’s happening in the world today. It highlights themes like blackmail, relationships, terrorism, technology, radicalization, engineering and power. Readers will learn a lot about radicalization. There is no sign of profanity. I didn't find anything to dislike. Therefore, I award the book a 4 out of 4 stars.

The book best fits those who love reading books under crime and mystery genre. Computer science gurus will likewise enjoy reading the book.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have always wondered about radicalization, and if the victims ever feel remorse for their actions - at least those who don't die. Maybe this book can help me see their perspective. Thanks for the interesting review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Cotwani wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:07 I have always wondered about radicalization, and if the victims ever feel remorse for their actions - at least those who don't die. Maybe this book can help me see their perspective. Thanks for the interesting review!
Sure thing. I'm sure you'll learn a lot. Thanks.
No Wahala
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Terrorism and radicalization are so scary. This book sounds intriguing. Thank you for the great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This was book of the day two days before. Your honest review sheds more light on this book. Thanks for the same.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Wow! A great lesson you learned there! Looks like the book is full of lessons. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I also enjoyed this book. I really liked how the author described each character in the beginning, especially Walid. Good job on your review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how Lara and Uri decide to take on terrorism head on, travelling all the way to America. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Prisallen wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 18:01 Terrorism and radicalization are so scary. This book sounds intriguing. Thank you for the great review!
Can't agree enough. Thanks.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

sanjus wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 22:33 This was book of the day two days before. Your honest review sheds more light on this book. Thanks for the same.
I appreciate your kind words. Thanks.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Julius_ wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 03:32 Wow! A great lesson you learned there! Looks like the book is full of lessons. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the review.
I hope you enjoy reading the book. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Shabram22 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 15:03 I also enjoyed this book. I really liked how the author described each character in the beginning, especially Walid. Good job on your review!
True. The author did a diligent job in his writing. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Wyland wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 06:19 I like how Lara and Uri decide to take on terrorism head on, travelling all the way to America. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I appreciate your kind words. Thanks.
No Wahala
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Excellent review! It was interesting to see how the leaders of Hezbollah recruited and indoctrinated young men to their cause. The Jihadists inspired a strong sense of purpose in the boys. Interesting study in psychology!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Twylla wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 20:37 Excellent review! It was interesting to see how the leaders of Hezbollah recruited and indoctrinated young men to their cause. The Jihadists inspired a strong sense of purpose in the boys. Interesting study in psychology!
True. I appreciate your kind remarks of the review. :tiphat:
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”