Review by Dayodiola -- The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Review by Dayodiola -- The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song

Post by Dayodiola »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Walking into a bookstore to see The fat lady's low, sad song on a bookshelf won't entice a lot of people. But a second look at the book description on the book cover is what anyone needs to be hooked to this exhilarating book.This novel isn't about the story of one person, it is the story of many chasing their respective dreams and each living with diverse financial, physical, emotional or social problems. The two prominent protagonists are Parker Westfall and Courtney Morgan.

Parker Westfall, a catcher, has been through balanced in’s and out’s in different baseball teams. He is on his last stitch for a major league call, again he slipped below his dream- he got a call from an independent minor league. With no choice, he signed and scurry through situations he never had a chance to before. Courtney Morgan, a knuckleball pitcher, the first female that decided baseball shouldn't be a game for male alone, and against all odds she strives to be a baseball player. It wasn't an easy ride for her, her parents are against it, the society isn't making it easy. The coach, Gardy O’ Connor, has little help to give any of his players, he lives by the book.

The author, Brian Kaufman, metaphorically describes two major aspects of life(Dream and Belief) on a platform of baseball. This shows his high level of imagination and creativity, which is quite a great thing. Before reading the book I had no knowledge about baseball but the author increased my knowledge of it page by page, which made dropping the book hard. Apart from the book being uninteresting to a non-sport lover, I don't think there is anything to dislike about the book. The author has a great descriptive instinct of not only the situation but also the people.

A grammarian and linguist won't have any problem with the sentence construct, word choice is in parallel with the situation. I rate this book 4 out of 4 for it is grammatically free from errors and typos. The editors did a great job which made the book all the more great.

This book isn't majorly for sport lovers, an optimist should be able to whirl away their time with this book. For an impatient and non-sport lover this book is a no. Apart from non-sport lovers I believe most people will find this book interesting. I recommend it to you as you finish reading this review, you won't regret it.

The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm not so much into sports. But how the author compares life to sports is amazing. However, I'll stick to your advice and pass this one. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

You will love to see the extent of the author creativity.
Julius_ wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 03:35 I'm not so much into sports. But how the author compares life to sports is amazing. However, I'll stick to your advice and pass this one. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”