Review by Laila_Hashem -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Review by Laila_Hashem -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Laila Hashem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings follows four friends, Rose, Sophie, Veronica, and Amanda, who are brought together through their love of fly fishing despite their age difference. Their adventures start when they gather at Rose’s Colorado cabin and discover a young woman, Melody, floating down the river after having accidentally fallen into the water during a photo-op on a rock in the middle of the river.

After her rescue, Melody soon warms up to the women and joins them in fly fishing and their trips to the cabin. Each section of the story afterwards explores each character’s thoughts, emotions, actions, and backgrounds. Particularly, the book focuses on the women’s struggles in their day-to-day lives and how they handled them, while describing their roles and behavior in their little group and how they supported one another through the tough periods in their lives.

There were many aspects that I liked about this book. Due to the strong focus on each character individually in each section, the author did a spectacular job in their development both as a group and on their own. The book discussion questions at the end also offers a method for readers to further understand the lessons of the book in a more interactive way and fixate on the important events of the story. Finally, the important message of having to face one’s fears is conveyed perfectly as the women did so at the end of the book.

The book’s plotline was an incredibly attention-grabbing and captivating one, that demonstrated the themes of friendship, discovery, and tragedy very clearly and consistently. The text was clearly well-edited as I did not find any spelling or grammatical mistakes. However, the author repeatedly uses the same adjectives and phrases multiple times throughout the book to describe the character’s actions and feelings. Other than that, there were no elements in the book that I disliked.

As a result, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers of any background who are above 14 years of age. Younger audiences may not be able to fully grasp the many challenges of adult life that the five women face throughout the novel and struggle to resolve. Additionally, readers in that age range would better understand the true meaning and value in friends being ‘alone together’, which is the main reason for the women taking trips to the cabin.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you for your review! I too reviewed this novel and I really enjoyed the woman's support of one another.a
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Cam104
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cam104 »

The book is quite understanding and it all fits together. I liked the fact that while reading the story felt like if it was to be real. The divison of the 4 character’s is what had the least details, but that is the least important because that’s not what the author is trying to tell the readers. Overall the book was amazing.
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

This is an informative review that explains the concept of friendship and sisterhood.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”