Review by Daniel Muky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Daniel Muky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Daniel Muky »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mathew Tysz's We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a lot of packages in one.
The story as a whole is a tale of hope and loss, friendship and betrayal and magic (spirituality) and science at a confluence; well setting a stage for a whole new universe in a set of nine books.

Mathew Tysz veered a bit away from the conventional styles of story telling by combining the omnipresent narrator with a first person narration and therefore allowing us to see first hand into one of the main character's soul while still not missing out on all the action out where he wasn't.
This in effect makes the story seem like many different stories all jumbled in one book— making it confusing at first. But once you continue on the different stories eventually merge and make sense as one complex tapestry of a tale that in turn is so pleasing.

The story starts with a one Galen Bray who grew up in a war infested home.
Now hope has visited his doorstep and after a week and a half sea journey he finds himself the owner of his deceased uncle's estate in a new land including a smithy he has to learn.
In this new world, though free from war and economically competent, there is still trouble, selfishness and malice unknown to him.

The author then shows us around this rich land of Voulhire through the eyes of lords, the king and Chancellors.
Among those is a one lord feared by friends and enemies alike for his magical strength and combat prowess. Lord Meldorath is, after years in service, now the King's prisoner and from him might come the fall of Voulhire— or even its redemption from its rebel enemies.

I enjoyed this book immensely for many things.
First, as mentioned before, the not so common style of narration.
Telling it from different places and from different eyes has a way it makes you feel like you know everything about this world. This in turn makes the story more than a story, like a whole universe. And from such a small book (not more than 200 pages) the author was able set a stage for a vast unfolding of a world full of intrigue and interest.

The author also uses humor in a lot of ways; in dialogue, action and narration.
Galen is depicted as a wide eyed fellow who knows almost nothing about people— from relationships to there driving motives— and keeps asking funny stupid questions. (And trust me you will find his inexperience with romantic relationships relatable if you are like me— Sad me.)

In the narration he also didn't come short of this humour, for example one chapter heading read "I am getting the hell out of Caromentis" and this unconventional not-so-serious way of naming chapters was so funny to me.

Apart from the difficulty in following the many stories at first I found nothing I didn't like about this book.
I found almost no mistake or typos and I commend the editing as good enough.
And despite myself, I liked even the profane words for many were humorously presented; there was a good number of them.

If you like magical fantasy, adventure, court politics and a good tale this is it.
And I give it a 4 out of 4 for the obvious reason it is great.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm relieved to know the author handles this rather uncommon style of narration well. It seems like a lot happens in the book but the author somehow manages not to lose the reader. It's not my type of book but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

Ever_Reading wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 06:01 I'm relieved to know the author handles this rather uncommon style of narration well. It seems like a lot happens in the book but the author somehow manages not to lose the reader. It's not my type of book but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for appreciating

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”