Review by Miller56 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Review by Miller56 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do a greenhouse owner, a photographer, a military wife and mom, and a women’s motivational speaker have in common besides Rose, the group mother figure? The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a novel that discusses the unusual friendship formed by five women with only one thing in common, fly fishing.

Rose is a widower who owns a cabin in the woods and loves to fly fish. Through various circumstances, she has met Sophie, Veronica, and Amanda. Sophie grew up on a farm in Kansas and moved to Colorado where she fell in love with fly fishing. She decided to stay in Colorado, bought some land, and eventually started a successful greenhouse. Veronica is a motivational speaker focused on helping women become stronger leaders. She met Sophie on an airplane. Sophie encouraged her to take up fly fishing and she became one of the group. Amanda is a military wife and mother who teaches fifth grade. She fly fishes on the rare occasions that she gets to take a break from being a single (yet married) parent. She is the baby of the group, in her early twenties.

On a girl’s weekend at Rose’s cabin, as they were all out fly fishing, a naked girl is swept down the river and pulled out by the group. She is a young Gothic photographer who stays the weekend and becomes part of the fly-fishing group. These women demonstrate a friendship that allows them to help each other with life’s problems despite the differences in ages. Rose seems to have a hidden sense of what each person needs to hear and relates fly fishing stories to help each woman deal with their problems.

The author is very knowledgeable about fly fishing and appears to use her own experiences as windows into the lives of the fictitious characters. I liked that the book was told from the viewpoint of each character. The book described the feelings and thoughts of the characters allowing the reader to feel like they knew each character on a personal level. The fly fishing correlations to relate to the circumstances in life also provided some thought provocations for the readers. Having been raised in Colorado, I knew many of the areas the book was talking about and could envision many of the places.

If there were any shortcomings to the book, it was that the beginning chapters focused heavily on how to fly fish. If a person is not interested in fly fishing, this may cause some readers to not finish the book. After the first few chapters, the book became more interesting.

This book was well-edited and did not contain any spelling or grammatical errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it held my interest and was inspiring. The group of women showed how friendships can form and grow even in odd situations. I would recommend this book to anyone from young adults to adults. There is some profanity which may not be appropriate for younger readers. The book is probably more suitable to a female audience.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I haven't had the chance to read this book yet, though I mean to. It consistently get decent reviews. Thanks for yours, I enjoyed reading it!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I really like your opening paragraph. It explains the serendipity feel of the novel well. I am glad you liked it. I did too whenI read it.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 08:08 I haven't had the chance to read this book yet, though I mean to. It consistently get decent reviews. Thanks for yours, I enjoyed reading it!
I think you will enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

diana lowery wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:24 I really like your opening paragraph. It explains the serendipity feel of the novel well. I am glad you liked it. I did too whenI read it.
Thanks for the kind words and stopping by. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review! I like your writing style. I like that you pointed out that the beginning does focus a lot on how to fly fish. I patiently read that part of the book. Thanks for the review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 08:08 I haven't had the chance to read this book yet, though I mean to. It consistently get decent reviews. Thanks for yours, I enjoyed reading it!
Thanks for stopping by. It think you will enjoy this one.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Magnify3 wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 03:23 Great review! I like your writing style. I like that you pointed out that the beginning does focus a lot on how to fly fish. I patiently read that part of the book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to read my review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

diana lowery wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:24 I really like your opening paragraph. It explains the serendipity feel of the novel well. I am glad you liked it. I did too whenI read it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

I enjoyed the background stories of these five women. The plot was very realistic. I recommend the book to fans of fiction.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”