Review by Inkroverts -- Last Another Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Inkroverts -- Last Another Day

Post by Inkroverts »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Another Day" by Baileigh Higgins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins is the first book of the Dangerous Days series about surviving the zombie apocalypse. The apocalypse had started out of nowhere, and people had no preparation when zombies spread from one state to another. Morgan, whose husband turned into a zombie, escaped her home to find her mother and possibly the rest of the family. Along the way, she teamed up with both friends and strangers in order to survive as long as she could. The story is told from multiple characters’ perspectives. And the perspective changes every chapter.

My general impression of the story is that it has a very generic plot for the zombie survival genre. Shooting zombies, getting supplies, helping strangers, and discovering that the strangers have ulterior motives are basically what happened in the story. There are some romantic side-plots to give readers a break from all the guns and blood. But overall, the story brings the characters from one incident to another very quickly, so it’s safe to say that the story is a fast-paced action thriller.

I kind of like the character dynamics. Instead of just focusing on surviving, there are character conflicts that led to serious consequences. And because each character has a distinctive personality, their dialogues and interactions are interesting to read. I like that the characters weren’t all mild and agreeable, but had their own values and priorities that they stood firmly by. For example, Big Ben is a character with not much exposure, but he remained protective over his charges even when one of them turned out to be a traitor. His actions challenge our morals: should we kill a person in order to protect the rest of the team?

One thing I find irritating is that there are too many characters. As mentioned before, the story is pretty fast-paced. Before I could get used to the new characters, another new group joined the party. There were countless times when the group met new people. In the end, I could only get familiar with the main characters’. As for the others, I sometimes recognised their names, and sometimes didn’t even remember I’d seen their names before.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The character interactions and actions are my favourite things about the story. But the plot is too fast for me to fully enjoy it. It is well-edited, with no typos or errors noticed. I recommend the book to those who’d enjoy a casual zombie survival story. I say “casual” because even though the story is eventful, many events don’t feel exactly “deep” to me, or make me think about things I’ve never thought about before. If you have a very firm moral standpoint and you flinch whenever people cross it, I don’t recommend you to read this book. There are many incidents that the characters justified murder (zombie or not). Rape and torture are also implied in the story.

Last Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”