Review by Ivy_Lucky -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivy_Lucky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-lucky.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Ivy_Lucky -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Ivy_Lucky »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want is a literary dramatic fiction book authored by William H. Coles. First, I must appreciate the book cover design which I felt related and pointed well to the title and the story as you peruse the novel.

Lucy, the main character of The Spirit of Want, is a young, beautiful, intelligent woman and a lawyer by profession. The novel brings out the theme of family by giving us readers a description of the main character’s family. Raised by a surgeon (Lucy's dad), Lucy gets married to Luke Osborne who is also a surgeon and together they get a daughter, Jenifer.

The story takes a turn when Lucy comes in contact with a TV evangelist, Hower Bain. Bain becomes her client by being accused of sexually molesting a child. Lucy feels that Luke is not good enough for her and so she abandons her family and flees to Africa to satisfy her heart desires of being with ‘the love of her life’, Bain after losing the case. Unfortunately, she finds out that he is not who she thought he was when Bain chased her away. She remains in dilemma of whether to go back to her family or have hopes of Bain accepting her back. Coles leaves us readers with suspense of whether she will regain her reputation or find redemption? Read to find out more.

What I liked most about this book is the fact that it is educative and as one reads the book there is emotional touch of the story that makes one feel the reality of the story. Coles has brings out the theme of desire, family, crime and among others so well. Again, I have to appreciate his writing style. William prefers to use dialogue to narrative which I felt its essence in the entire book as it is engaging and makes the book a page turner.

I cannot fail to point out that I felt the use of many characters brought out difficulty while reading the book. Cole’s tendency of addressing different social and religious issues in the midst of telling the story got me confused a little bit. I bet this can also bring confusion to other readers and hence I did not feel it necessity.

I rate his book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because of the above reasons and also because I encountered some typographical errors. Generally, the book is interesting to read and it teaches on how pride can make successful people to fail in life and how desire drives the human heart.

I can recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading psychological and emotional kind of books. Coles has revealed some information about medical doctors which got me educated as I have much interest in the specified field. I can also recommend people with the same interest to grab a copy of The Spirit of Want. Thumbs up William H. Coles!

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”