Review by Browlyns -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Browlyns -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Browlyns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M. N. J. Butler is a beautiful piece of the historical-fiction novel. Written in the first person and as a form memoir or narration, it is meant to invoke the deepest of emotions from the reader.

Leotychides is the only son of King Agis of Sparta. Growing up in the Agiad palace, the only parent he knows is his mother Timaia and his uncle king Pausanios. Leotychides father, King Agis, has been in the Long War even before he was born. As he grows in wisdom and stature, Leotychides turns out to be a witty warrior and a great leader in his flock of young soldiers. People have been giving him strange looks lately that he wonders if the admiration is for his beauty or it was the reverence of the future king. That is until one day upon his father’s return, in front of all the Spartan citizens, he turned his back on him and rejected him. It marks a new chapter in Leotychides life as he uncovers more about his life and identity. Will he ascend the throne after his father or will he be cast aside as a bastard/undeserving Spartan?

What I liked most in this book is the author’s grasp of history. The events in this story are as close to the real history of Sparta as possible. Use of narration by the main character made it sound like I was reading a memoir making the book seem real. It is easier to be emotionally attached to the main characters as the reader grows with them from childhood to death or old age. My heart went out to Agesipolis and Kleombrotos when they died and to the misfortune that Leotychides faced throughout his life. The many characters open up the plot for an emotional packed, high-action story that will surely keep the reader awake and on edge. Despite the violence and action in this book, the author includes humor that adds to the beauty of this story.

What I liked least in this book are the many numbers of errors I found when reading, most are punctuation and spelling errors. The timelines in this book jump from present events to the past and vice versa affecting negatively on the flow of the story. There are many historical Greek cities in the novel that it is hard to place their location and direction. I will give this book 3 out of 4 stars, the only reason I did not give it four stars, is the numbers of errors it has.

This book will appeal more to lovers of history and a war story since it has a great deal of history in it. People who do not love war and violence should avoid this book. It does not contain extreme sexual content so it will be suitable for young readers.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”