Review by Beatus -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Beatus -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Beatus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a way you feel about someone that you feel you can dedicate your whole life for this person. However, what you don’t know is whether that feeling will last and the person will only grow or change positively, not affecting your dedication and commitment. The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles will take you through the lives of Luke Osbourne, an eye surgeon and Lucy MacMiel, a defense attorney. A fatal accident influences a marriage of Luke and Lucy and from it a child, Jennifer.

This book is about family relationships, betrayal, corruption, and racism. Growing up knowing she is the adopted daughter, Lucy is a troubled but brilliant woman. After her marriage to Luke, she lands a high profile defense case that led to the end of her career, marriage, and family. She left for Africa, where she survived a poison attack and had to return home only to find out that her father, A. J is under investigation for malpractice and racism.

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a heart-wrenching narrative. You may not understand the reasons behind some of the actions by the characters at first, but slowly the explanations unfold. The characters are so relatable that some of their doubts relay what everyone else faces in their day-to-day encounters. I loved how the author created the support system around Jennifer. It is what family is all about.

The story is so well-thought-out that I could not find fault. The editing was professional, the cover is superbly done, and the wording couldn’t be any better. There are concepts about faith that may disturb conservatives. However, the author was careful to construct these concepts in a manner that the reader can learn about other perspectives regarding religion and God rather than incite negative feelings. Conversely, though I believe that the author ought to have detailed a bit more on the lessons gained and their impact on the characters’ personalities.

This book can be read by those interested in the affairs of family. It’s a perfect book for fans of the popular soap operas like The Bold and The Beautiful or Days of Our Lives. Younger readers may not like or understand the contents of the book and so they will be better off if they skip it. Furthermore, there is adult content that may not be suitable for underage readers.

Considering everything, I rate The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles 4 out of 4 stars.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Anna180
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna180 »

I am always glad to read books and hear stories of how women can be strong even in situations that can or may be considered extremely difficult for our fragile hearts...
Religion, family and the general up bringing of a child influences later characters of the child
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This seems like a perfectly executed novel, which is to be expected from an author like Coles.
I find especially interesting that it raises thought-provoking questions regarding faith and religion. This is always an enriching experience when it's done with sensitivity.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I tried to read this one before I was a reviewer. I struggled with the beginning of it and put it down. However, I like the review and may give this one a second chance.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Thank you for your detailed review! I think I will have to pass on this one though.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”