Review by KitabuKizuri -- Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Cynthia and Dan

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War is a book written by Dorothy May Mercer. It is published by Mercer Publications and Ministries, Inc. It contains 20 brief chapters, making the book readable within a day.

A drone lands on the White House grounds sending security into high alert. However, the public is informed that it was a false alarm and the President was not present at the time of the incident. Cynthia’s brother, Glenn, runs a private investigation firm with top of the range intelligence gadgets. Not convinced its an isolated incident, they recruit Tim to help them with cracking encrypted communication between terrorist cells. Tim also gets on board a fast-fingered Garth, with whom they are able to uncover a number of enemy secret communications and uncover a terror plot that needed the immediate attention of someone Garth knew from the military.

All the while, Cynthia has to decide whether to consider sustaining a bland relationship with Sgt. Dan McIntyre. As this is happening, a mysterious man just going by the name of Sky comes into her life and says all the right things, throwing her personal life off balance.

The book is written in the third person, with great effort being taken to follow the characters and respective strands of narrative in an entertaining way. I’d say the characters are developed adequately for the roles they play in the story, although Cynthia comes across as too naive in her personal life’s affairs for a qualified undercover P.I. For instance, when she meets Sky, she allows herself to go to his place the first day they met. This is almost fantasy territory in my opinion, but the book is a work of fiction so it has it’s fan-base. I guess I liked least the romantic parts of the story. What I liked most is the idea of cyber warfare. I think that the theme/concept has been well executed in the book.

I would recommend it to those who like fast-paced crime-thriller material mixed with some romance. The book also addresses some themes to do with how to handle unplanned pregnancy, which I reckon is aimed at young ladies who happen to be book-fans. I would not recommend it to a very young audience due to hints of adult nature.

The book is well-edited. The story is well arranged and easy to read through from start to end. I give the book a 3 out of 4-star rating. I think the character of Cynthia’s personal life needs to be a bit more convincing and the cover illustration needs some work to make the book more appealing to a wider audience.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”