Review by Rachel Lea -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Pen...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Rachel Lea -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Pen...

Post by Rachel Lea » 01 Jan 2020, 15:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi is the eighth book in The Inca Book Series and continues the crime-solving escapades of Inca, a plucky Siberian kitty, and her personal detective agency, Inca & Company. On this occasion, the furry felines are headed off to South Korea with “Mom,” their owner. Le Cordon Bleu, the famous French cooking school, is holding its patisserie competition in South Korea this year and has chosen Mom to be one of the judges. Mom has also just created a delicious new cheese, which will be officially presented at the competition.

But Mom has a jealous rival, a fellow chef with nasty plans up his sleeves. Will Inca & Company be able to save Mom and her new cheese from her rival’s selfish designs?

Having already read and thoroughly enjoyed the previous book in this series, I very much looked forward to picking this one up, as well. Kristi’s writing in Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula is sweet, simple, and enchanting, making for a fun, light read. The book first starts off with Inca’s “family tree” (i.e. “Mom” and Mom’s other cats) and then gives some quick background on Inca’s detective agency, including brief character descriptions of each member. The chapters of the book are then titled by the date of the month in which the events occur in the story.

Unfortunately, where this fun and sweet book falls short is in its formatting. On several pages, whole sentences ran on top of other sentences and made these sections of the book very hard to read. I reviewed both this book and the previous book in this series using a Kindle, and the previous book did not have these issues.

Overall, I rate Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula 3 out of 4 stars, taking one star off for the formatting issues. I also found a few scattered grammar errors, but these were minor and did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. Overall, this is a lovely read (especially for fellow cat lovers). I would recommend this book to parents with children between the ages of seven and ten.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”