Review by Dentarthurdent -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the distant future, on a planet far, far away, a human empire of dark-haired, green-eyed Iberians rules over a downtrodden race of blond-haired, blue-eyed Arpathians. Emperor Constantine, being severely dissatisfied by the poor stock of his offspring, feels the need to facilitate the mating (that’s what they called it) of his bastard daughter and a bastard Arpathian, and name the emerging third generation bastard his heir. This odd decision by our bastard emperor could have been an engrossing focus of the plot, but alas, it is not accorded such an opportunity.

Masters and Bastards follows Andreas Marset, the aforementioned Arpathian bastard, who is also an orphan. Imagine the most attractive man you have ever seen, then the most brilliant military strategist you know of. Now picture the most unrealistically powerful fictional character. Combine these three ideas to form an accurate representation of seventeen-year-old Marset.

Marset has a lingering dalliance with Princess Isabella, the epitome of female beauty. He is an adolescent searching for his identity and purpose, surrounded by pricks who smugly give him cryptic hints that they know stuff about his parents, but simply won’t tell him. His persistent hitting of walls in an attempt to dig up his past while exploring his feelings for Isabella could have done well as the main plot, however, this is not the case.

Afterwards, Marset is unceremoniously deployed to war. The subsequent two hundred pages detail his stellar participation in the never-ending war between his overlords and their nemeses, the Scythians. Marset rises through ranks at an inordinate pace, but abhors these promotions, as he wishes to remain a humble pawn in the machinations of others, I imagine. During the war, he also meets Hannah, an enemy soldier who rivals Isabella in beauty, and promptly falls in love with her. This could do well as the plot of a fast-paced war fiction, which Masters and Bastards is not.

The final part of the book addresses a coup orchestrated to usurp the emperor. This here is my final attempt to illustrate my annoyance at the author’s stubborn refusal to commit to a main conflict.

The only characters given any sort of attention are Isabella, Marset, and Hannah. The rest had no backstories, no memorable aspects, and only the vaguest sprinklings of individuality. They served as mere props in a three-man show. The three protagonists were the only ones allowed any sort of romance, never mind how superficial it was, with emotions seemingly driven by their admiration of each other’s god-like beauty. Questionable character development also extends to the tale’s villains, who are portrayed as evil for evil’s sake. They have no backstories, and no effort was made to try and explain why they are as they are. Additionally, the female characters seemed to have been developed from a single template, all of them being entitled teases with the defining characteristic of wanting to bed Marset at his earliest convenience.

It was also rather difficult to root for a savant character when the evidence of his brilliance was scanty at best. Penington makes Marset out to be a genius for deducting the most basic things, or for making dramatic conclusions from the most basic evidence, in a way that does not quite add up. I hate it when characters are dumbed down to accentuate the superiority of the main character, so this was my least favourite part of the novel.

Lastly, it is exhausting to deal with a protagonist who persists on acting like all the advantages he gains are such burdens. It is terrible to attract the affections of two inconceivably beautiful women, unbearable to have extremely powerful supernatural abilities, not to mention how inconvenient it is to have your talents recognised, and to effortlessly rise in rank as a result! There is no gift horse whose unobjectionable mouth Marset fails to bemoan. Not two seconds after his invariable dose of lamentation, he easily takes the so-called challenge in stride. While it goes without saying that all these things have their own downsides, Marset’s dissatisfaction is annoying, seeing as he is also extremely good at everything.

Objectively speaking, there was more I disliked than I liked about Marset’s chronicles. I will allow that the scene description and subtle humour were well-executed, but on the other hand, the novel is predominantly an adventure tale with too much going on, yet still bogged down by teenage angst and unconvincing will-they-won’t-they scenarios. However, it must be recognised that Penington did write a passable, well-edited tale of nearly five hundred pages. This is no small feat, and seeing as there is nothing too glaringly objectionable about the book, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I would mostly recommend it to adventure and fantasy fans who are not terribly picky.  Veterans of the genre may find Masters and Bastards to be a bit sloppy, however.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an intriguing premise that was poorly executed. Thank you for your insightful review.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

"The final part of the book addresses a coup orchestrated to usurp the emperor. This here is my final attempt to illustrate my annoyance at the author’s stubborn refusal to commit to a main conflict."

This quote from your review summed up something that also annoyed me in a very eloquent way. I also particularly enjoyed your take on Andreas's reluctance to be brilliant. Great review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

unamilagra wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 21:01 This sounds like an intriguing premise that was poorly executed. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thanks so much for the comment!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

ErikaP13 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 03:35 "The final part of the book addresses a coup orchestrated to usurp the emperor. This here is my final attempt to illustrate my annoyance at the author’s stubborn refusal to commit to a main conflict."

This quote from your review summed up something that also annoyed me in a very eloquent way. I also particularly enjoyed your take on Andreas's reluctance to be brilliant. Great review.
I'm glad you understand what I mean! Considering the hard life faced by Arpathians without Marset's talents, I really couldn't see why he was always so distressed when good things happened to him, despite how hard I tried to understand. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Okay, so he's a combination of Hercules (the TV show one), Hitler, and Voldemort. Ummm....ewwwww. I think he got that martyr syndrome from the Hitler part. Truly, I am laughing so hard it's making me cough. I do so love your writing style. I've had this book on my reading list for a while, but if it's this annoying, maybe I'd do better taking it off! Thanks so much for the highly informative and also entertaining review!!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

The plot had a lot of layers on top on each other which can feel a bit too much. I agree that the women were made from a single template, which made me roll my eyes. I wished the author removed the superficial romance entirely. Great honest review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Kelyn wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 22:00 Okay, so he's a combination of Hercules (the TV show one), Hitler, and Voldemort. Ummm....ewwwww. I think he got that martyr syndrome from the Hitler part. Truly, I am laughing so hard it's making me cough. I do so love your writing style. I've had this book on my reading list for a while, but if it's this annoying, maybe I'd do better taking it off! Thanks so much for the highly informative and also entertaining review!!
I love your picks ( Hercules + Hitler + Voldemort)! I personally pictured Bella ( Twilight Saga) + Caesar + Chris Hemsworth :D
Mine are quite generic, I know.
You have no idea how glad I am you enjoyed reading my review. Thanks so much, Kelyn!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Charlyt wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 02:58 The plot had a lot of layers on top on each other which can feel a bit too much. I agree that the women were made from a single template, which made me roll my eyes. I wished the author removed the superficial romance entirely. Great honest review!
Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I agree; the martial elements of the book were so well written, the book could've been better if the romance was absent altogether. Have a great day!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A planet far away, a human empire of dark-haired, green-eyed Iberians rules over a downtrodden race of blond-haired, blue-eyed Arpathians looks quite interesting to imagine. The authors creativity is admirable. Thanks for your good review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

sanjus wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 02:23 A planet far away, a human empire of dark-haired, green-eyed Iberians rules over a downtrodden race of blond-haired, blue-eyed Arpathians looks quite interesting to imagine. The authors creativity is admirable. Thanks for your good review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The book seem to have loads of faults. And based on your review, the book needs some adjustments to meet the needs of the reader. Thank you for your thorough and profound review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Nerea wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 02:50 The book seem to have loads of faults. And based on your review, the book needs some adjustments to meet the needs of the reader. Thank you for your thorough and profound review.
Thanks so much for reading my review!
Irmelin
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irmelin.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by Irmelin »

Thank you for your review. I agree with you on the score for this book. I read it and wasn't that impressed either. I keep thinking that some chapters were there just for the sake of the size of the book. It is like author though - this book will be 500 pages! So he fills it with lots of boring descriptions and unnecessary side stories. Better book next time :)
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Irmelin wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 17:55 Thank you for your review. I agree with you on the score for this book. I read it and wasn't that impressed either. I keep thinking that some chapters were there just for the sake of the size of the book. It is like author though - this book will be 500 pages! So he fills it with lots of boring descriptions and unnecessary side stories. Better book next time :)
I know what you're talking about! It did have some pointless passages that didn't do much for the plot. I've got to commend the author for the difficult task of writing such a long book, though. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”