Review by Agnes Masobeng -- Cooperative Lives

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Agnes Masobeng -- Cooperative Lives

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan stress on the lives of neighbours staying in a vast expensive building in New York. These neighbours are somehow related, they usually meet by accident, simply coincidence and universal espionage. Speaking of a building in New York, the author does a great job of describing New York in-depth. He formulates its history, geography, unique features as well as its dwellers.

The book opens with a character named Wallace. Wallace is a middle-aged man whose wife Hanife, has abandoned him after a startling passing of their daughter. Soon after these details, the author introduced different characters. I must admit that I was aggrieved because I was determined to find out more or get to know more about Wallace.

Although this is the author's first work of fiction, he has done an extraordinary job. The Cooperative Lives is a well-written character-driven thriller which seizes the reader's attention from the first page. There is no doubt why this tale is such an intelligent read, the author graduated from North Western University, University of Chicago Law School and Graduate School of Business.

What I liked the most is how the author made the story believable. I related to a lot of characters. I am the kind of person who always avoids strangers' gaze just like Wally who always looked down in the elevator avoiding to make eye contact.

The author calls this novel a work of historical fiction because some of the unprecedented events in modern history took place during that period. But initially, this story takes place 6 to 8 years after the novel was written. At the beginning of the book, Patrick Finegan includes a list of characters, their whereabouts, their relatives as well as their marital status.

Published by Two Skates Publishing, the book is just 473 pages. It covers themes of divorce, loss, love, betrayal and secrets. There were no noticeable major errors. I, therefore, rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I only came across light errors which include missing comas but they did not affect my score.

Even though I rate this book a perfect score, there are certain aspects which I did not like. There are a lot of characters who are very well developed, that is not a problem. The problem is when the reader ends up being unsure of who the focal character is because of too many characters.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”