Review by Akpome1 -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Akpome1 -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J. M. Muse is an advertising copywriter. In his book, Mixed Blessings, he deals with issues of racism and ethnicity. He equally intertwined religion, riots, politics, and government. The book also has a lot of information about mixed races.

Well, racial wars have been from time. The whites always want to differentiate themselves from the black and claim superiority over them. This is what Muse tries to portray in this book.

There was a census in America. In that census came the problem of identification. The question was, are the blacks black only by colour? What if an African American gives birth to someone who is white, can he identify himself as a black man? This is because some of them who were white identified themselves as black. Of course, they were proud to be blacks.

Another problem tackled in this book is that of mixed-races. Should the black marry the white? Should the black mix with the white in religion and politics? At a point, Cynthia, a TV host, has to bring Dalton, a white man, and Reverend Harper, an African American, together to defend their races. I tell you, they almost fought on stage. This is interesting indeed! I love the way Muse presented the scenes in this book. Reading the book makes you feel as if you were there live.

The greatest question I found towards the end of the book is, “Can racism be stopped?” Though the author did not go further to answer this question, it is food for thought to the reader.

To me, the title of the book is my take. If we understand one another, our mixed-races will become mixed blessings to us. We do not need to fight against one another. God is not a fool. He has good reasons for creating some black and others white. We are to complement one another. Therefore, let us go beyond skin colour and build and grow good relationships.

I commend Muse for this good work. Mixed Blessings is a very interesting novel to read. I was reading it day and night for me to follow the trend of events. I never wanted to drop it. Without any reservation, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Moreso than I did not find any errors in it. I recommend it to all lovers of conptemporary fiction because I like everything about the book from cover to cover.

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”