Review by Anisa_Sadaf -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anisa_Sadaf
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Astonishing Color of After
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anisa-sadaf.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Anisa_Sadaf -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Anisa_Sadaf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want is a book about the journey of a young lawyer who follows her heart more than anything else. Lucy Macmiel is a married woman who falls in love with a TV Evangelist, Hower Bain. Far from family, friends and her early life, Lucy finds herself in a turmoil of events that change her life forever.

William H. Coles' writing is brilliant. It is compelling and elegant. However, the storyline does drag a little bit. The concept of love being blind and everything starts to wear off; it starts to get on your nerves. Of course, there were good parts as well. Love of a sister, a mother, and a friend outweighs everything in the world; it knows no bounds.

The story does teach important lessons: the choices you make can and will affect the ones around you. Being selfish is absolutely fine but sometimes, you just have to stop and think about the consequences for others and yourself. Following your heart is good, but never forget to take your brain with you. Measure every decision before going through with it. Lucy is a lawyer, I expected her to be better than what she was. Being reckless is not the way to go. Trusting someone blindly to an extent that every wrong they do passes through the blind spot is pitiful and pathetic.

Apart from the protagonist, there's her father, a doctor, who is creating havoc in the lives of his family and colleagues. He gets involved in malpractice and manipulates his way through it.

As much as I loved the writing and the morals, I didn't connect with the story at all. There were only a few errors here and there but nothing significant. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It contains sexual content, and it is not suitable for readers who are susceptible to such material.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”