Review by ccundall2130 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccundall2130
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Killing Ground by Phil Bowie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Review by ccundall2130 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by ccundall2130 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am easily entertained by books of all genres. However, being entertained and enjoying an entire book are two different things altogether. With that said, I genuinely enjoyed The Reel Sisters, by Michelle Cummings, from start to finish. This book was excellent. It presents as a fly-fishing tutorial mixed with romance and adventure. It is so much more, though.

The story is about five different women that have diverse backgrounds. They are pulled together as a cohesive unit by their love of fly fishing. Each woman has their own story and would seem to have little in common. They get together periodically for the simple reason of going fly-fishing. Fly-fishing might be the reason they converge, but not the dynamic that holds them together. They accept each other easily and willingly accepted the newest member after a bizarre incident.

Rose is the matriarch of the group. She has experienced a great loss in her life. She still has the capacity for love and the desire to share her extensive knowledge of fly fishing based upon many years of experience. Sophie is the owner of a successful greenhouse and nursery. She has a lot to give to the group. This is despite her trust issues because the man she loved many years divorced her. Amanda is a brave, young wife trying to raise her two small children and maintain her sanity while her husband is deployed to Afghanistan. She’s a fifth-grade teacher with a lot on her plate and a past that threatens her family. Veronica is an insanely successful business coach that travels all over the world conducting leadership seminars. She took to fly fishing very easily as if she were missing something from her life. Melody is the pierced and tattooed newcomer to the group. Though an unlikely fit, her unique style of art brought her floating into this tight-knit group. However, a book based around the outdoors wouldn’t be near as fun without the silly antics of Rose’s dog, DJ, a female black lab.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed it so much. It was professionally edited and had a small amount of profanity. I loved reading about the author and seeing she is not only a writer but a team-building coach. She encourages people to step out of their comfort zone. I knew she put her whole heart into this book. This is obvious by how well written it is and how defined the characters are. The diversity of the characters was what I liked the most about the book. I couldn’t find anything I really disliked about the book. It all worked so well together. Even the tragedy was needed to define some of the characters.

This book would mostly appeal to the feminine side of any reader looking for a fun read. It would also appeal to someone looking for a tutorial to step out of their own comfort zone without reading a boring “how-to” book. This book has several references from fly fishing experts. It not only has romance and adventure, but there are a few tense moments that keep the reader interested and drawn in. It also describes a few tragic events that affect the characters. Finally, this book would appeal to the outdoorsy type. The type that appreciates all the hard work it takes to get away to do something purely for pleasure and to escape from everyday life.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”