Review by Steven Samuel -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steven Samuel
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steven-samuel.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Steven Samuel -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Steven Samuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucy MacMiel is a well-established lawyer. Being the adopted daughter of A. J and Agnes MacMiel, Lucy does not share the warm and caring personality of her sister, Elizabeth. The novel begins at one of A. J's fundraisers where Luke Osbourne, a family friend of the MacMiels and A. J.'s colleague, meets Lucy and Elizabeth, both adults. Luke is drawn by Lucy's beautiful physique, and after a shared ride with her( which ended in an accident) they got married.

Their marriage doesn't become as blissful as expected and things took an even worse turn when Lucy had to defend a preacher, Hower Bain, accused of having sex with a minor. Join William H. Coles in this book, The Spirit of Want, as he narrates the ordeals that besieged Lucy and her family at large. Though Lucy was the main focus of the tale, it turned out her father, A. J, had grave secrets of his own.

The book was quite interesting. There were no monologues dedicated to character development, the author gradually unveiled his characters as the book progressed. The author's characters remained true till the end. For example, Lucy portrayed a selfish individual who sought after her desires without considering the consequences of her actions while Elizabeth portrayed the contrast of Lucy. The book's editing was next to impeccable, I only spotted very few typographical errors. The book's twist was mouth-gapping. I could hardly guess the end or what will happen next even if I had tried. Even the book's end was unexpected and I had a hard time accepting or believing it.

Besides the errors observed, I don't think I have anything against this book. There were parts were Lucy's decisions vexed or saddened me but it was all part of the beautifully constructed story by the author. I enjoyed every part of the book and would easily rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't rate it lower despite the typographical errors because the book was quite entertaining and there are a few lessons embedded within it.

The book could be appealing to a very wide range of readers, the sexual content was very mild and the characters were all lovable. I believe anyone not below the age category of young adults will enjoy this book. The book is a bit religious, leaning towards the showmanship of preachers and the question of miracles, so if this bothers prospective readers they may not want to read this book.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”