Review by MsH2k -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: A White Face Painted Brown
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover by Randal Betz Jr.

Review by MsH2k -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by MsH2k » 13 Dec 2019, 21:06

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is a superbly crafted novel set in Australia. The story is written in the first-person narrative from the perspective of Natalie Chapman as she remembers the pivotal year surrounding her sixteenth birthday. Natalie’s half-aboriginal father died when she was young, and she has an adversarial relationship with her stepfather. The reader follows Natalie as she learns to combat the racism and misogyny she encounters and to embrace the love and encouragement she finds with family and friends.

What I liked most about this book was the poetic description of the scenery - plant, animal, and human life alike. The author paints beautiful portraits with her words throughout the book, but my favorite instance was the portrayal of Natalie’s Jersey, Libby. “She regarded the world placidly through luminous, elegantly-slanted eyes of the deepest brown, and her light coat bore a smudge of black across the velvety brisket and down the front of each leg.” I have seen many cows in my lifetime, but I have never thought of one in such a lovely way.

I also appreciated how Linnane depicted the intricate dynamics of Natalie’s multigenerational, multiethnic household. Natalie and her brother Joey shared the same biological father and had his brown complexion, whereas her two youngest sisters had the fair complexion of their father. Their sibling quarrels and alignments transcended race and sex, and their mother gave the same love to all. Natalie’s maternal grandfather owned the house where they lived, and no matter what family issue was brewing, they always showed him respect as the elder of the house.

There was nothing I disliked about this book, but the author provides the reader with their choice of villains to loathe. My least favorite character was Bruce Glover, the husband of the couple at whose house Natalie worked. I found him to be opportunistic and deceitful. His wife, Rosemary, on the other hand, was one of my favorite characters. She exuded an unquenchable love of life and beauty. The characters in this book were multidimensional. I enjoyed the fact that each person, no matter their age, showed the good and bad aspects of their human nature.

I rate Ironbark Hill 4 out of 4 stars. This book was edited well. I noticed only one grammatical error. The author has a uniquely descriptive writing style that engages all the reader’s senses. I highly recommend this book to anyone who would enjoy an expertly written character-based novel. There are three scenes that contain violence, but they are not lengthy. One encounter was between spouses, and another was an incident between a parent and child. I do not recommend this book to those who do not enjoy this genre or who would be disturbed by the episodes of violence.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by MustaHarleen » 16 Dec 2019, 04:40

Thanks for a wonderful review. It has compelled me to read this book. Congratulations.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 16 Dec 2019, 15:19

MustaHarleen wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 04:40
Thanks for a wonderful review. It has compelled me to read this book. Congratulations.
Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope you enjoy the book!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Fatal Flaws by Clyde Lawrence

Post by Prisallen » 17 Dec 2019, 17:17

I read this book as well and also enjoyed it. I think my least favorite character was Natalie's stepfather, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. I encountered a lot of formatting issues when I read it. I'm glad they have been cleared up since then. I really enjoyed reading your thorough and interesting review!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 18 Dec 2019, 00:33

Prisallen wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 17:17
I read this book as well and also enjoyed it. I think my least favorite character was Natalie's stepfather, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. I encountered a lot of formatting issues when I read it. I'm glad they have been cleared up since then. I really enjoyed reading your thorough and interesting review!
I think I knew going in I wasn’t going to like her stepfather and subconsciously put him in his own category. Thankfully, there were no formatting issues this time. They must have taken care of it.
Thanks for your comment!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Payback-Tales of Love, Hate and Revenge by Steve Bassett

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 19 Dec 2019, 12:39

There seems to be quite a few high-quality Australian books about at the minute - this sounds like another. Great review, I really enjoyed reading it.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 19 Dec 2019, 14:46

Brendan Donaghy wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 12:39
There seems to be quite a few high-quality Australian books about at the minute - this sounds like another. Great review, I really enjoyed reading it.
There are! I am currently reading another book about Australia, and I’ve adding another one to my queue. I hope to visit there someday - Western Australia in particular. Thank you for stopping by!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Boomer Blues by Dick Caplan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 20 Dec 2019, 03:25

I keep seeing glowing reviews about this book. I really should check it out. I'm glad you enjoyed the it. Thanks for the insightful review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 20 Dec 2019, 14:01

Ever_Reading wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 03:25
I keep seeing glowing reviews about this book. I really should check it out. I'm glad you enjoyed the it. Thanks for the insightful review!
It really is an excellent book with incredibly descriptive writing. I learned a few words, too! It is interesting how we may use one meaning of a word in the U.S., but there is a different use of the same word in Australia. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Falconcrest » 21 Dec 2019, 04:26

Australia has its fair share of racism i gather it will highly educational to read more about their landscapes and social behaviors. Thanks for the informative review.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 21 Dec 2019, 15:14

Falconcrest wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 04:26
Australia has its fair share of racism i gather it will highly educational to read more about their landscapes and social behaviors. Thanks for the informative review.
It was educational. I enjoy learning about a place in the context of a well-written novel. Thank you for stopping by!

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Charlyt » 23 Dec 2019, 08:04

Seems likes a well written and realistic book. I would like to be able read the author's descriptive writing style. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k » 23 Dec 2019, 13:30

Charlyt wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 08:04
Seems likes a well written and realistic book. I would like to be able read the author's descriptive writing style. Thanks for a great review!
Her writing style is a real treat. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”