Review by nicole-adrianne -- E-M-P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nicole-adrianne
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Review by nicole-adrianne -- E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by nicole-adrianne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I chose to read E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer, I expected it to be a high-quality romantic piece containing elements of science fiction. The cover art, which features a kissing couple and a spaceship, along with the high ratings I saw from other reviewers, solidified that initial impression. However, the description of this book turned out to be quite misleading. I would not recommend that others spend time reading this story.

E-M-P Honeymoon, unfortunately, contains no EMPs and very little honeymoon. The story follows a newlywed couple, Kelly and Tom, who are supposedly on their honeymoon despite the fact that they only seem to enjoy being around one another when it's convenient for the plot. To be fair, the lack of chemistry didn't surprise me once I realized how condescendingly Tom treats his wife, babying her and giving her charming, unique nicknames like "girl". However, the main point of the plot is that Kelly and Tom team up with three other flat and stereotypical characters to prevent a Korean EMP attack on America.

What I liked most about this book was writing down literary gems I found while reading it, such as these artfully constructed sentences:

"Flash...commenced encircling the satellite, photographing a picture..."

"'Get me Colonel Sky Eastman on the phone,' he demanded without saying please or thank you."

"Everyone else alerted to attention."

"Steve shoved her cute little butt."

It's hard to narrow down the one thing I disliked most about the story. The casual sexist, racist, and ageist stereotypes were definitely uncomfortable, as were the poorly written romantic lines that made me physically cringe. However, I think the very worst thing was the complete and utter disregard for proper grammar and formatting. Inappropriate commas and hyphens abounded. Periods were nowhere to be found at the ends of complete sentences. Chapter subheadings were arbitrary and made no sense, sometimes describing the main setting or character while other times simply serving as a catchy placeholder. All of these factors and more made it impossible for me to give this book more than 1 out of 4 stars.

This book also uses infrequent vulgar language and strong innuendo.

This story is well-suited to readers who appreciate a lack of diversity, who feel restricted by the concept of grammar, and who would rather read about an "I-pad" than an iPad. If you're looking for expository dialogue that was clearly cut and paste from Wikipedia, or if you're curious about the wrong way to use words such as "opine", "grouse", "snarl", or even "retrieve", then this is the story for you.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Post by AvidBibliophile »

To be perfectly honest, I echo a lot of your sentiments and impressions on this one. When I read it for BOTM and started commenting on the forum threads, I almost felt as if I was the only other reader who was underwhelmed and a bit confused by the popularity of this title. You make some meaningful and well-supported points!

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Art Fairy by Floras Athena

Post by Aniza Butt »

Your review gives me nostalgic vibes. When i did my first OBC review, the book i choose turned out very different from the description. The book was supposed to be a sci-fi but it more like romance. And that book was also BOTM, and i also gave that book 1 star😀.
Thanks a lot for an honest review Nicole☺.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: God's Cruel Joke by Ray Pierson

Post by Tomah »

A harsh assessment, but I agree, this wasn't a particularly great book. I personally disliked how easily the main characters dealt with the issues and how incompetent the antagonists were. Thanks for the honest review!

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

AvidBibliophile wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 20:07
To be perfectly honest, I echo a lot of your sentiments and impressions on this one. When I read it for BOTM and started commenting on the forum threads, I almost felt as if I was the only other reader who was underwhelmed and a bit confused by the popularity of this title. You make some meaningful and well-supported points!
When reading all the glowing reviews, I felt alone too! I think we have very similar literary tastes :D
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

Aniza Butt wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 00:44
Your review gives me nostalgic vibes. When i did my first OBC review, the book i choose turned out very different from the description. The book was supposed to be a sci-fi but it more like romance. And that book was also BOTM, and i also gave that book 1 star😀.
Thanks a lot for an honest review Nicole☺.
Hahaha I'm glad to hear that this happens to other reviewers too! Thanks for stopping by :D

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

Tomah wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 11:45
A harsh assessment, but I agree, this wasn't a particularly great book. I personally disliked how easily the main characters dealt with the issues and how incompetent the antagonists were. Thanks for the honest review!
I couldn't agree more. I'm a professional writer, and I never could have achieved my current level of skill without some equally harsh feedback from a lot of other authors. I feel that it's a disservice when people praise my writing if they aren't truly impressed by it, and I'd never want to do that to another writer. Thank you for commenting and stopping by!

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Puppy dogs and kitten cats
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nerea »

This is a unique and informative review. I now view other reviews, of the same book, with high rating as though they were sugar coated. I wouldn't have known the words or phrases copy-pasted from Wiki, but you saved the day. Thanks.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Dead!!!!! Your review is too funny, especially that ending. Sorry, you had to have your expectations shattered like that. I am grateful that it resulted in this witty review. Thanks for sharing.

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

Nerea wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 14:23
This is a unique and informative review. I now view other reviews, of the same book, with high rating as though they were sugar coated. I wouldn't have known the words or phrases copy-pasted from Wiki, but you saved the day. Thanks.
Thanks so much for your kind comment! I'll admit that I view other reviews of this book the same way. And, I agree with your quote that regular reading is the key to good grammar :lol: every writer, myself included, needs to take that advice!

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

Jaime Lync wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 15:26
Dead!!!!! Your review is too funny, especially that ending. Sorry, you had to have your expectations shattered like that. I am grateful that it resulted in this witty review. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much for your feedback :mrgreen: I really did enjoy writing the review, I had way too much fun with it. I was grateful to have such accessible material to work with. Loved reading your comments, thanks again!

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life by Jan Attard
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

I have not read this book, but nothing I know about it makes me want to ... even as I see quite a lot of positive reviews. Your review confirmed many things I suspected. You have a great turn of phrase, and I look forward to reading more from you.

nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 04:37
I have not read this book, but nothing I know about it makes me want to ... even as I see quite a lot of positive reviews. Your review confirmed many things I suspected. You have a great turn of phrase, and I look forward to reading more from you.
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad I was able to provide realistic expectations for this piece. I'm a book reviewer and content writer by day, but an author by night, so writing is my life :D There's definitely more to come!

LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by LyorBoone »

I like the sarcastic paragraph. "If you reel restricted by grammar..." I got a good laugh out of that. Of course, some characters do feel restricted by grammar, but, for smoother reading, many prefer they only break grammar rules with dialogue. And it's definitely a must when the story is in third-person.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Haha, wow! There are so many reviews and BotM posts that did not provide this perspective of the book! Thanks for being so honest about what you felt about it. You've got quite the talent for sarcasm!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”