Review by gichimuAnn -- The Girl in Red Pajamas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gichimuAnn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gichimuann.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by gichimuAnn -- The Girl in Red Pajamas

Post by gichimuAnn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl in Red Pajamas" by Chris Birdy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A review of "The Girl in Red Pajamas" by Chris Berdy.

So much is happening to Bogie McGruder's family. When his sister Ann is accused of killing her lesbian lover, Dolores,Bogie believes she is innocent. He feels compelled to find out the truth about the death of his ex girlfriend. His whole family's lives get dusrupted.His 4 year old daughter,Isabella helps solve the case.Her mother is not happy about it but that doesn't stop Isabella .She is a martial arts student,good with computers and too intelligent for her age. She is confident and her passion is desirable. Throw in the family drama and you have yourself a fantastic read.

I loved reading this book. It is immensely thought provoking and the characters are superb and well explained. The supporting characters are also believable and multilayered. The ability of the writer to create characters that will still be on your mind even after finishing the book is amazing. I couldn't bring myself to put the book down and when forced to I got back to reading it as soon as I could.The girl in red Pajamas is an exciting book and a perfect mystery. I was delighted to find a mystery that I hadn't figured out quarter way through the book.

Family and religion are important aspects of the book. Bogie's family is one big happy family,even when they have differences they always find a way around them. Although his family isn't religious, Dolores family is. The christians in the book have a twisted way of expressing their religion. Chris Derby's idea is not to discourage Christianity, although there's some characters who try and force others to convert,this book doesn't change the point of view of one's religion.

The story had no sex scenes and I didn't encounter any profane language either. The book revolves around lives of children and the writer made sure to keep the lives of those kids innocent.

There were no grammatical or punctuation errors. This allowed me to have an undistracted read. Therefore,The girl in red pajamas achieves a perfect rating, four out of four stars.

I'd encourage readers who love mysteries and thrillers to read this book. It has a murder scene and instances of torture but it's a good book overall. I wouldn't advice children to read the book but young adults and grown ups should definitely get a copy of Chris Derby's, The girl in red pajamas.

The Girl in Red Pajamas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm impressed by the fact that the author has created "immortal" characters, who live in our minds past the last page.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

Christianity and intrigue always catches my eye. Thank you for this review, the title did not grab me but this sure did!
IfeomaD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

I'm glad about the solid character development and the intrigue plus family drama in this book. It will definitely be a great read for me. Thanks for the interesting review
We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for an interesting review! As someone who loves mysteries, what really impressed me was your comment that it was well written enough that you couldn't already solve the mystery early in the book. That's a great endorsement!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Aknotts19
Currently Reading: Biblical clock
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aknotts19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Aknotts19 »

This seems like an intriguing read. I am puzzled by the author's choice of cover art. You mention in the review that there are no sex scenes but there are two naked people embracing on the cover. This just makes me want to read it in order to find out the author's intention behind the cover art. Thank you for your review.
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

This book impressed me, family and religion were positive aspects. There were no sexually shocking scenes. The book is great and perfect
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an amazing book with exteremely attachable characters. I'm looking forward to read it. Thanks for the great review!
gichimuAnn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gichimuann.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by gichimuAnn »

Marsnikk wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 15:22 Christianity and intrigue always catches my eye. Thank you for this review, the title did not grab me but this sure did!
You will definitely enjoy the book
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This premise is interesting to me. That's a lot of death to be affecting one family all at one time, and the idea of the daughter helping to solve a murder mystery is entertaining. I might pick this one up! Thanks for the review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The four-year-old helps solve the mystery? Now that is interesting. I would love to read how Isabella helped. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for your honest review. This book has such an interesting story. I can’t wait to read it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The story had no sex scenes and I didn't encounter any profane language either. The book revolves around lives of children and the writer made sure to keep the lives of those kids innocent.
We shouldn't judge a book by the cover literally! I had imagined it was all romance! I love mysteries that are not so obvious to solve. This sounds like a winner. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I can only imagine the issues caused by Dolores' family, but it's great that they don't affect the kids. It sounds like an interesting mystery too.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
char8026
Currently Reading: Dark Fae
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8026.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by char8026 »

Thanks for such a thoughtful review. I like that you mention the religious aspect as it seems important. I love it when a character stays with me, almost like an old friend. I never turn down a mystery, so this is going on my shelves to read soon.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”