Review by Bhaskins -- Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Bhaskins -- Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet is a step by step guide to identify, befriend, and then reduce pain in the body. His process has a goal of getting folks to shift their negative mindset around pain in the body to thinking about pain as your body trying to tell you something. Some emotions Bourlet hopes one might feel after using his method are empathy, compassion, joy, trust, and peacefulness. The link between thoughts and the physical body is very strong and building awareness can ease some of the physical symptoms if we meet our pain with kindness and compassion.

What I liked most about this book are the examples he used to reframe ideas. It was helpful for me to see different suggestions. My favorite one is an example of knee pain going from annoyance to a messenger about what a body might want to convey. He gave a lot of examples of case studies of how to heal things from blood in urine to anorexia. I felt these steps and examples were important to illustrate this method could be used to heal a variety of people and health conditions. I also enjoyed some of the quotes and testimonials from clients he has worked with. Hearing the personal stories of other people dealing with their pain and healing is very inspiring.

What I disliked most was that this felt a little complicated. There were a lot of different steps, prayers, and phases. It feels like a complicated process and as someone who does experience chronic pain, it felt very overwhelming to try and dig into. There were several pages for journaling that helped this some, however, I wish a better outline of the entire process was given closer to the front of the book.

This book would be good for anyone who suffers from chronic pain. I am a therapist and see great value in exploring the link between thoughts, emotions, and physical symptoms. This book would not be good for children as it seems like a complicated process, however, if a child had support from an adult caregiver I do believe they might benefit from the information.

Overall I give Happy Healing 3 out of 4 stars. Some formatting issues made the book feel very overwhelming to me. The usage of bold paragraphs and capital letters in the middle of sentences made it harder for me to read and know what was truly important, what was just dividing between thoughts, and what was part of the process. I believe editing for layout issues would improve this book.

Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”