Review by tristenb -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by tristenb -- One Way or Another

Post by tristenb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In three different pregnancies, one mother gave birth to four daughters from four different fathers. Yes, you read that right. Billie Benedict is beyond eccentric and her love of men is undeniable. However, she is their mother. Even though she is difficult, they feel thankful for their mother and her indiscretions. The Benedict sisters, including Andi, Bryce, Calder, and Destry, are just lucky to have one another. Their bond is strong enough to get through whatever life throws at them.

The Benedict family is filthy rich, but only a male heir can have complete access to the fortune. Even so, the sisters live in a mansion, have sizable trust funds, and are able to purchase big ticket items with the approval of the family’s lawyer. One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams is the first of six books in The Sisters Quartet. The Benedict sisters always had difficulty in the romance department, especially due to their wealth and the lack of a good role model. This book primarily follows Calder Benedict and her unexpected romance with Adam Stone, a facilitator. Beyond this, the sisters worry that their mother’s new boyfriend, Ingo Hunter, has some conniving scheme planned. Will Calder find love or is Adam just after her money? Will Ingo get what he’s after?

As a fan of romance novels, it was easy to get swept up into this story. Therefore, I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance novels. Calder and Adam have an intense and instant connection. My favorite part of the book was that their relationship seemed believable. It was not too cliché, but also didn’t try to step too far out of the box. While Adam is from the working class and struggles with some of the things that go along with being incredibly wealthy, he doesn’t seem to be after her fortune. He seems to simply be a good guy with a good heart.

Even though I enjoyed the story, the book lacks a good edit. While there aren't too many other errors, the book is full of incomplete sentences. While incomplete sentences are fine within dialogue, the author uses them throughout the book. While this might be the writer’s writing style, I found it to be difficult to read at first. It seems almost as if the author doesn’t know how to write a complete sentence, which I’m sure she does.

It’s important to note that the book does include profanity and has some sexual content, though it’s not overly explicit. Due to this, I wouldn’t recommend this book to a younger audience or anyone who doesn’t enjoy these kinds of books.

Overall, I rate One Way or Another 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, I couldn’t give it a full rating due to the use of incomplete sentences throughout the book. However, the book was enjoyable to read and the plot wasn’t too cliché, warranting the given rating. I hope to continue reading The Sisters Quartet and find out what happens to the Benedict sisters.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”