Review by Gathoni1991 -- Conflict on the Yangtze

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Gathoni1991 -- Conflict on the Yangtze

Post by Gathoni1991 » 25 Nov 2019, 20:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Conflict on the Yangtze" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would China, Philippines and Australia have in common? Well, a syndicate involving smuggling of opium from Yangtze river delta in China, and its shipment to Philippines, Australia and ultimately, the U.S.A. The People's Republic of China is not stable yet - there is a power struggle between the government and the communists. Because of this, on the ground cartels, smugglers, crime families are having the time of their lives. All mannerisms of illegal activities are taking place. When a British MI6 agent is shot in an operation in Yangtze, the fantastic duo Jack O' Brien and Jamie Munro are called upon to help neutralize the opium smuggling opertion. Greg Kater takes one through a series of action adventures, in an intriguing plot penned down in the book Conflict on the Yangtze . The setting is during post World War II.

The book opens with a couple of maps that gives the reader a clear picture of the setting of the novel. Narrated from the third person's point of view, the author uses humour, vivid descriptions and a sprinkle of romance. Dialogues are in plenty and they serve to propel the plot. A diverse ensemble of characters lends credence to the story, making it believable, especially some characters' mispronunciation. The characters created, hail from Britain, Philippines, Japan, Australia and China.

What I loved about the book was that it was not an everyday post-war book. The writer uses a simple language and injects many light moments in the plot. Leisurely, the plot rolls out, making the book an easy read. Although there were action scenes, they were woven effortlessly in the relaxed plot. The pace of the story was just right. It is for these reasons I give a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars.

Corruption was a theme that stood out strongly in the novel. The main people that made the opium smuggling operation smooth, were high ranking officials in the law enforcement agencies. This filth still echoes in contemporary governments around the world. My biggest takeaway from the book was the value of teamwork. Jamie and Jacko were always a team, looking out for each other and having each other's backs - totally admirable. My favourite parts of the story, were when Sara, an Aborigine saved the day, mostly because of her bushcraft. In one of the conversations, she was referred to as a "guardian angel".

Reading the book made me appreciate just how far the republic of China has come. From being in ruins because of World War II, to the opium menace, and now to being the largest economy in the world, just goes to show how every nation can be successful with the right systems in place. China is a superpower of these modern times.

The book was well thought out and well written. It had zero mistakes and zero vulgarities. The book was professionally edited and its literal quality is top notch. I recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction and to those who enjoy action adventures. There is no aspect of the book I disliked.

Conflict on the Yangtze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

inaramid
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Feminist in Pink by Brenna Stevenson Dilts

Post by inaramid » 21 Dec 2019, 01:31

Sounds like it's going to be a fast-paced book. The diversity in the characters is a huge plus! Thanks for this review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ellylion » 22 Dec 2019, 09:07

Sounds like an interesting read written with a vivid and simple language. I'm not quite a fan of the genre, but I got intrigued. :) Thank you for a great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 22 Dec 2019, 18:43

This is an author I enjoy. Your explanation of the humor and descriptions in this book make me want to read this one, too. Your high rating makes this look like another interesting and well-written book! Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”