Review by Nivi Gideon -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Review by Nivi Gideon -- One Way or Another

Post by Niv123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I knew I was going to love the book when I realised it resembled a modern-day rendition of 'Little Women'. Mary J Williams has outdone herself by incorporating the classic plot line in a contemporary tale of love and life.

One Way or Another, a story of four sisters who share the same mother, Billie, but have four different fathers who, unfortunately, were mostly absent from their lives. Their bond is impenetrable, though they stand alone and fight the various hurdles of their vastly different lifestyles. The story predominantly focuses on Calder, the second eldest, and her unexpected love interest, Adam Stone.

The Benedict sisters are four fierce, young women who have had their fair share of struggles in spite of being born with a silver spoon. The most recent one, is the sudden affair between their mother and a notoriously creepy character called Ingo Hunter, who has rubbed all of them the wrong way one time or another. They soon realise that this sleazy character must have his own hidden agenda to squeeze himself into the family. The question is, will they discover his motive before it's too late?

The story has strains of romance, strained parent-child relationships, sisterhood, family ideals and represents the misogynistic society women have to either face or run from. The sisters stand apart for their devil-may-care attitude towards what society expects, as they unapologetically live life on their own terms, setting an example of what a woman in the twenty-first century must strive to achieve.

Apart from the strong female characters in the book, I enjoyed the versatility of the plot line and narrative technique. It did not focus solely on the sexual relationships, but gave the relationship between Adam and Calder more depth and vitality. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes of banter between the sisters and the dialogues that dripped with sarcasm, irony and wit throughout the novel.

If there was something that was lacking in the novel, it was the distinctiveness in the personalities of the sisters. They almost blended into the same generalization of a 'strong woman'. The author could have given their personalities more defining characteristics. Apart from that, there was nothing I did not like about the novel.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Had I not come across a couple of typographical errors, this novel would have definitely been a perfect 4. The ending of the novel is what really made an impact on me, forcing me to start reading the next novel in the series. To say it was a cliff hanger would be an understatement. This novel will be thoroughly enjoyed by young adults, especially women who can look up the Benedict sisters as role models.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

sounds quite a book. Sounds like the benedict sister should have been more distiguishable. thanks a lot for the review Nivi :)
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I recently read and reviewd this book too and enjoyed it very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a novel with independent, strong women. These sisters sounds fun. I'm not sure, though, this is a book I would enjoy. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The sisters seem like great characters, but I don't think this is a book that I would enjoy. Great review!
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

Oh this sounds like an amazing read. Thank you for the descriptive review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Its resemblance to the little women excites me to read it. Thanks!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a great read. Too bad they couldn’t have been strong in different ways, though. Thank you for your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Wow! Reading your review has made me feel nostalgic going back in time remembering "Little Women." I would love to read this modern day version! Thank you so much for your excelllent review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the book features strong female characters. The struggles that the Benedict women face also give the book an element of realism. Thanks for the insightful review.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Sounds like a wonderful read! Great review.
Spencer Mack
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

It appears to me that this is a strong book regarding women. Nice. Definiteky love it.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy; however, I really prefer that the stories I read don't end on cliffhangers. I don't want to feel forced to read the next book. But, that's just me! Thanks for the wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”