Review by Misael -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Misael -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sonar The Surge" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before the Sonar Surpass puts Kadan and Polaris in total darkness for hours, a group of Kadanans infiltrates the icy planet. Kadeem teleports his team to Polaris to steal access codes necessary for their rescue mission. Battle soon ensues between the Kadanans and the Polars with each team displaying varied super gifts like telekinesis, time warp and invisibility; some are called enhancers, holders and shielders. Narrated in several first-person perspectives, Sonar The Surge by B. Truly continues the sci-fi adventure series, this time focusing on the romance building up between Nile and Symone. Will their love flourish even as Kadan's future seems to loom darker than the dreaded eclipse? How will the war between the two planets affect the developing romantic relationships among the Kadanans and the Polars?

Though the plot was not new, Truly came up with a set of interesting and relatable characters in Sonar The Surge. I was amused by one Kadanan whose gift was called the kiss of death. Additionally, the fruit flavors generated by the inhabitant’s tongues during a kiss were interesting. I chuckled at the use of different terms for the intimate parts of the body, like Eden, glory and fundament. The idea of combining all the characters' powers to form an impenetrable shield of protection as they fought was suspenseful and interesting. The author was creative in coming up with a world where there were three moons, the sky was of an unusual color and the inhabitants wielded extraordinary powers. Moreover, Truly presented good family values and relationships that were relatable as much as they were inspiring. This aspect balanced out the graphic violence, revenge and hatred in the story.

There were some grammatical errors like missing hyphens and a comma. There was an incorrect placement of quotation marks. The word “sacrificed” was written as “scarified.” There were also a few instances of separated groups of words that should have been written as one sentence.

Something tragic must have happened for a character to go against his own blood but I would have preferred a brief explanation; Truly could have inserted a quick summary through the character's ally who was witnessing the fight between the blood relatives. Some of the answers were narrated in bits of information as you read on, which frustrated me. I found the courting between Nile and Symone annoying and juvenile; their jealous fits were immature despite their age. Their antics were not the least entertaining.

I give Sonar The Surge 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a 4 because Truly has the ability to make the readers visualize the worlds he created, making his book a very engaging read. However, the common plot and some frustrating parts gave me pause. Moreover, the book could benefit from another round of proofreading due to some grammatical errors which diminished the smooth reading. But definitely, a rate of 2 stars would be unfair for this entertaining novel.

If you enjoy action-packed adventure where the characters exhibit super powers like those found in popular superhero movies, this is spot on. Family values, varying levels of love and kinds of relationships made Sonar The Surge ideal for avid readers of the romance and drama genres. However, this is not for younger readers due to the graphic violence and explicit, erotic scenes.

Sonar The Surge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”