Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Nava...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GHOSTFRIEND
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostfriend.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Nava...

Post by GHOSTFRIEND »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Miller follows the story of Zachariah Martin. This book shows the impact of the Vietnam war. It is an action-packed story.

Zachariah Martin decides to join the Navy at a very young age. He and his friends arrive in Vietnam for the war. They have no idea as to what lies ahead and their little experiences are no match to the current situation. War is definitely a horrifying experience but it's not the worst. The after-effects of this war on young men like Zachariah doesn't just affect their lives but also of those around them.

Every movie and story shows how warmly the soldiers are welcomed back to their country after a war but that isn't the case here. These young people were ill-treated after returning. Many of them were exposed to Agent Orange but the authority did very little to treat them.

After reading this book, I've realised that I've developed a very deep emotional connection with Zack. To see such a young boy leaving his loved ones and going for war and then to see him grow with time is very heart touching. The various experiences that he has during the war and his reactions to them help you to connect with him. His character is very realistic and relatable. Zack and Tully's love story gives a whole new meaning to the entire situation. I liked how the writer has used his various characters to show the love and support of their close ones. The impact of family and sibling relationships that these young people have, has been well portrayed. This story is not just about the war but also about the personal lives of those involved in the war. This aspect of the story really impressed me. It's not often that we get to read such a complete story. Zack's character has to be my favourite aspect of the story.

Another thing that I liked a lot is the writer's ability to describe the entire situation is such a detailed manner. For example, when he describes the jungles of Vietnam, you can feel the serenity of the scene but at the same time, he reminds you about the destruction that will be caused during the war. The writer's descriptions of various scenes add life to the story and you can't help but feel the heat of the moment.

This is a really heartbreaking story. After reading about the treatment meted out by the VA to those exposed to Agent Orange will leave you feeling helpless. You can feel the disastrous state of mind that these Navy veterans might be in and the mental state of their families. I'll rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There was nothing that I could dislike in this story. The book has been professionally edited. I didn't find any error in it. I'll suggest this book to fans of war stories. People who are interested in stories related to the Vietnam Naval War should definitely read this book. Due to its sexual contents, I'll suggest children to avoid reading this book.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”