Review by Abraham Joy -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-joy.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Abraham Joy -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Abraham Joy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love is first given by family before the recipient can understand it enough to express it. Now, what if love is unable to be comprehended or refused to be accepted? The Spirit of Want talks about family and its possible challenges, love in different manifestations and religion in its bareness.

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a fiction story that opens into the life of a young lady, Lucy, highlighting her personality throughout her unspoken quest for love. The story which is staged in the medical, law, and Christian religious spheres, gives insight into a series of interesting characters without lingering too much for boredom. From minor family differences, the author explores the transition of a woman into motherhood, highlighting hereditary differences in individuals of the same household. Here, lifelong ambitions are placed beside motives in different scenes. The resultant seeks to fill a void which seems insatiable, and in some cases, leading to an overwhelming quest for satisfaction. In the process, vulnerability, manipulation, and desperation are exposed, prompting the questions: is bitterness a resultant of the absence of love, or the inability to accept love? Can a heart seeking love be tamed?

I hadn’t expected this story to be so interesting taking the way it began usually. Somewhere in the middle, I had thought that having so many characters in the story (which is not a bulky book), will get it cramped and unnecessarily busy. The author skillfully says a lot without messing in the reader's head. I’ll describe this as making multiple high definition pictures into a single comprehensive piece.

William is bold in this writing, venturing different professional territories, and continents too. These transitions are made smoothly, without disrupting the story-flow, making it one of the most interesting concise novels I have read. I am sure about this because the ending of the story is not poorly given up as some non-lengthy novels are characterized by.

If you are looking for a book that is intellectually rich but does not linger unnecessarily, then this is the book for you. This book has romantic and sexual scenarios, but is not excessively detailed, making it recommendable for both non-romantic and romantic story lovers. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because the author tells a great story swiftly in a very matured way. This is also a well-researched story that is daring and void of typographical errors.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”