Review by FEislandqueen13 -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Review by FEislandqueen13 -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sonar The Surge" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sonar The Surge by B. Truly is a science fiction romance thriller. Follow the intimate experiences of Symone, Syira and Shiray : three women bonded through marriage, trust, and blood. At war with another planet their hearts are tested by physical conflict , emotional heartache and fate . There's only so much pain one's heart can bear : so would their love fail in the end or triumph over the enemy ? At the center of this exciting drama is trust. Among the tragedy that comes with war they make time to cherish each moment spent with their family, friends and colleagues. They must rely on each other, because, only as a team would they stand a chance against the Polars.

What I liked most about this book was the pacing. Events happened one after the other which moved the story along at a fast pace . Action scenes were quickly introduced. The author made excellent used of heated, rapid-fire dialogue , insightful summery and a sense of uncertainty that had me turning pages to find out the outcome. Quite exciting.

However, I disliked most the first person point of view. Reasons being, there were not plenty of instances for me to figure out the characters' next course of action as I am in their mind. I knew how Symone felt about everything. What Syira would do next. Why Shiray did ‘a’ rather than ‘b.’ The suspense factor was not as strong as it could have been ; the mystery associated with romance was lost. On top of this the author told me whose perspective I'm reading from. Under each chapter title would be a character's name . It would have been better had the names not been used for chapter titles. I believe the author did this to avoid confusion ,because, the characters' names are similar and the first person point of view is consistent throughout the story. As the reader , allow me to draw my own conclusion on whose speaking by the way a character talks or how they feel about a certain prince.

I enjoyed Sonar The Surge and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The scene descriptions were on point. I loved the tender family moments sprinkled in the breaks between the action throughout the novel. There was an almost perfect blend of dialogue and action moving the story along. But the world building could have been better, therefore, I did not give the book 4 stars. Rather than be told how everything works it should have been shown. The settings could have been expanded on more than a sentence or two. Particularly, the places were major events occurred. That would have kept me immersed in the story. Toward the end there were quite a few typos. At times the dialogue was drawn out. Many of the characters sounded alike. Furthermore, they were pulled out of hot water too soon. The side characters had more conflict. This book took too long to hook my attention. Tension was weak. There would be a stretch of peace followed by a brush of danger. How the first person perspective was written took away the mystery and suspense one expects from a romance novel. It hit the climax early leaving the rest of the story drawn out and uneventful. In the beginning, I found it hard to differentiate the main characters. Their similar names were not helping.

On the other hand, this book was well edited and the ideas flowed smoothly. It was packed with great action and amusing dialogue. So I didn’t give it two stars . What little details used to describe scenes were visually evocative.

I don't recommend teenagers under seventeen and readers that don't enjoy erotic scenes read this book. On a scale of 0-5 those scenes were a 4 - very descriptive. Profanity is also present : basically in every chapter. Young adults and the young at heart that love fast paced action, steamy romance, heavy dialogue and family drama would love this book.

Sonar The Surge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm usually game for a science fiction romance novel but I'll have to pass on this one. If the pacing and world-building aren't right, I'm out. I enjoyed your review though. Thank you!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The pacing of the story would be good, but the similarity of the characters' names would be quite confusing. I liked your comments about the point of view. Great review. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like it has a few issues, but overall it sounds like a great story. I do love a good science fiction, but the author seems to be more romance oriented than my taste. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

If the pacing is a little wonky, I probably wouldn't like this one. Thank you for the informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”