Review by Falconcrest -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Falconcrest -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Falconcrest » 19 Nov 2019, 06:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This story is narrated from the viewpoint of Andreas Marset an Aparthian Legionary, enlisted in the army of the Iberian empire. As the story unfolds Andreas is accused of adultery and is sent for interrogation at the Iberian Palace. He is released and told that he would be recalled again soon. “While” he is still under investigation Andreas Marset encounters a very beautiful woman by the name of Tavia Ulia the daughter of an extremely prominent senator. Unfortunately, this chance meeting only amplifies the difficulties of the young combatant. This charming story is from the category of the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

At a later stage in the story, Andreas unexpectedly also meets up with, Isabella the bastard daughter of the Iberian emperor. What secrets does Isabella keep from him, and Andreas then contemplates why he has been returned to the palace again? I didn't really enjoy how the story abruptly began with extremely mature content. I have to acknowledge that these initial ingredients to this tale slightly put me off and, i almost discontinued my analysis of this book. Opening the book up with these extreme elements immediately gave me the impression that this was the main theme of the whole book. When, in fact, that was not the case. I also disliked how the author at times adopted this over descriptive writing style. Mr. Penington would suddenly describe structures and locations that had no solid backgrounds. This writing technique only managed to tire, and slightly distracted me from completely immersing myself into the story. When the author applied this technique i easily found myself lost in his narrative and had to start the sentences afresh. Though the majority of characters had solid backgrounds and were effectively integrated into the storyline only a few characters made brief appearances and sadly had no solid backgrounds.

They were numerous elements I really enjoyed about this story like how it kept me, constantly guessing as to what will happen next? They were yet again some really great humorous scenes in it as well. I also loved some of the author's wonderful writing like “Such was war. No one could call it fair, but misery was dished out with as much equity as was possible”. Once again Christopher J. Pennington has managed to perplex me and has pulled a rabbit from his hat as he performs his amazing Houdini magic act that has left me speechless. Masters and Bastards has successfully been awarded three out of four stars. This story contains a few typos and grammatical errors, but these errors do not take away any meaning from this story and have no serious impact on it as a whole.

They are also some wonderful action scenes that will easily captivate and immerse you into this story. The story possesses a lot of elements of war that are violently graphic in nature, and this book is only suitable for mature adults. The authors also clearly demonstrates his knowledge of military arsenal and tactical warfare that could only have been gained by doing some serious research. This book's tempo also flows at a good pace, and they were enough action scenes that were written with the right length. The book only lagged at times because it became over descriptive.

I was astonished to find out when i did my research on some terms used by the author. Terms like “Scythian and Iberian were European nomads that lived in the 9th and 4th-century B.C. I was also surprised to learn that the term “ Aparthian” stemmed from a real locale. ” The Aparthian Mountains” do exist and are located in Ukraine. The theme of bastards is also prevalent throughout this story. It is quite remarkable how the whole story revolves around the book's main heading. This story contains some very erotic scenes and is not suitable for readers younger than 18 years of age. This story does contain a few religious elements but is suitable for all religions. I was unable to give it a lower rating than 3 out of 4 stars because the story is extremely enjoyable and it will appeal to all fans of the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Holodomor: by Lesa Melnyczuk

Post by LinaMueller » 21 Nov 2019, 12:23

I usually don't like this kind of book, but the story seems interesting. Good job, Falconcrest. I enjoyed reading your review. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by Reynaa » 21 Nov 2019, 13:18

You are very thorough and informative in your review! I'm interested in reading this book, especially since it does have some realistic aspects of the time period.

Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest » 22 Nov 2019, 08:46

LinaMueller wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 12:23
I usually don't like this kind of book, but the story seems interesting. Good job, Falconcrest. I enjoyed reading your review. :tiphat:
I am glad you enjoyed reading my review. Thanks for your amazing comments and thank you for taking the time to read my review.

Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest » 22 Nov 2019, 08:50

Reynaa wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:18
You are very thorough and informative in your review! I'm interested in reading this book, especially since it does have some realistic aspects of the time period.

I really hope you find the time to read this book and thanks so much for your kind words.

SHALLU RAWAL
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by SHALLU RAWAL » 22 Nov 2019, 20:43

The story of the book is good. But, I think the author has stretch it too long. Sometime it seems that it is no futuristic at all. But overall, I really like the twists and turns of story. It's a great review. Thanks!

Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest » 26 Nov 2019, 10:45

SHALLU RAWAL wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 20:43
The story of the book is good. But, I think the author has stretch it too long. Sometime it seems that it is no futuristic at all. But overall, I really like the twists and turns of story. It's a great review. Thanks!

Yes, the story was very good and yes they were times I found the story a bit slow as well, but this was when the author adopted a very descriptive writing technique. Overall it was quite enjoyable. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.

Deepa09k
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Deepa09k » 27 Nov 2019, 02:19

I've been wanting to read this book from so long. Your review perfectly gave an idea of what to expect out of this book and I think I will give it a chance finally. Thanks for the review!

Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest » 28 Nov 2019, 04:27

Deepa09k wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 02:19
I've been wanting to read this book from so long. Your review perfectly gave an idea of what to expect out of this book and I think I will give it a chance finally. Thanks for the review!

I hope you do. I am sure you will enjoy it and thanks for taking the time to read my review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: An Uncommon Journey by Shirley Raines

Post by Tomah » 30 Nov 2019, 11:56

This sounds like a well-written sci-fi/fantasy novel that should appeal to fans of page-turners. I'm interested in giving it a try. Thanks for the review!

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Getting Through What You Can't Get Over by Anita Agers-Brooks
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 30 Nov 2019, 13:14

This sounds like a fast-paced mix of different kinds of action. Thank you for your thorough review!

inaramid
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Feminist in Pink by Brenna Stevenson Dilts

Post by inaramid » 30 Nov 2019, 19:59

It sounds like the author put a lot of thought and research into the worldbuilding. You've certainly made this sound interesting. Thanks for the review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Fatal Flaws by Clyde Lawrence

Post by Prisallen » 07 Dec 2019, 12:05

There is a fine line between too few descriptions and too many. I agree when the author starts describing things not relevant to the story, it can take away from the focus. Otherwise, it seems like an exciting book. Thanks for the wonderful review!

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Selling with Presence by Reggie Pearse
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 09 Dec 2019, 15:23

This was an interesting book to read. I think the author was gearing up for much more religious overtones in a sequel as they started to increase toward the end of the novel. I like how you included some information you found while doing some digging on the terms used in the book.

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Cotwani » 13 Dec 2019, 03:57

I know the feeling when you get so lost in description you have to re-read to find yourself!

Thanks for this detailed review Falconcrest!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”