Review by klbradley -- Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 374
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by klbradley » 17 Nov 2019, 11:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Another Day" by Baileigh Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Another Day is a modern-day post-apocalyptic/horror novel written by Baileigh Higgins and published in September 2016. As the first novel of the Dangerous Days series, the story is written from the perspective of several main characters in South Africa, alternating by chapters. At 348 Kindle edition pages, the story is the perfect length for diving into the story line and forming an attachment to the well-developed characters.

Each character has an individual narrative for where they were and what they were doing when catastrophe struck and lives were forever altered. Once the virus inhibiting the dead surfaced to light and caused the dead to rise again, no one is safe and danger is always around every corner. As with most post-apocalyptic novels, once a zombie plague spreads, society begins to fail fast, leaving no means of the lives that everyone was used to. The pace of the story is well-rounded and even, allowing full indulgence in the action.

Although there are numerous memorable characters throughout this story, there are a few main characters that stand out the most and deserve mentioning. Morgan escapes with only seconds to spare as her husband's infected body craves her intestines. Desperate to locate what possibly remains of her family, she pulls strength she didn't know she had and leaves the life she built. Her brother, Max, is traveling home from the army to check on his family when he meets Logan, who is also traveling to his hometown to check for surviving family members. The two form a friendship despite their differences with a mutual agreement to do what is necessary to survive. The determination that shines through these characters even during the most troubling and dangerous times is unmistakable as they work to form a new life, even with only the most diminutive glimmer of hope.

I've read many post-apocalyptic novels, specifically those involving zombies, but I can easily say that Last Another Day has one of the most well-formed story lines that I have encountered. Author Baileigh Higgins spares no feelings when it comes to her characters, and just when I began to form attachments, a wrench was thrown, causing chaos in my mind. My frustration continued to build while reading, but only because I felt like I had become one with the story and could feel the bonds I was forming being snatched away. I only paused my reading to put my thoughts regarding the first book from the series into writing and plan to immediately continue with the rest of the series.

The editing for Last Another Day was exceptionally well-done, as I found no spelling or grammatical errors while reading. As can be expected with most stories involving a zombie outbreak, there are multiple gruesome scenes and some explicit language used that I would only recommend for mature readers and those with a solid enough stomach to handle the well-painted pictures the author presents. I'm exceptionally pleased to rate Last Another Day 4 out of 4 stars and am looking forward to finishing the rest of the series. Baileigh Higgins possesses an excellent writing ability that I would be happy to share with other readers who are looking for an all-consuming read, with a little bit of exposed human intestines, of course!

Last Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”