Review by Miller56 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Miller56 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when people possess superpowers that others want? Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a young adult fantasy about Descendants from Russian bloodlines that possess many supernatural powers. These Descendants are hunted by a group of scientists who want to exterminate them.

In the beginning of the book, Adam seems a little too close to his mother for a healthy relationship. He is a loner at school who seems to border on being a sociopath. This part of the story was a little disconcerting to read. However, Carly moves to town and seems to notice Adam from the beginning. She is not afraid of the darkness he shows and their relationship grows. Carly helps him to find his true self and their romance blossoms.

This book contains many twists and turns. I think the book ebbed and flowed, but overall I enjoyed it. I thought that Carly was very likable. She was not afraid of the darkness that was in Adam. She also had a great relationship with her parents and in the end, her and her mother proved to be very strong characters.

I didn’t like the person Adam was in the beginning of the book. The predatory animal behavior and the relationship with his family were uncomfortable. His sociopath behavior made me want to stop reading. In the end, he had become a completely different character. He was someone that could be respected for his attitudes and behaviors.

I also didn’t find the behavior of Adam and Carly like any 16 year-old I know. They both seemed very grownup (maybe the Descendant bloodlines helped this). They spent lots of time together, day and night, which was a little off to me. Finally, they take plane trips to meet up with Carly’s mom out of the blue with no supervision. I just don’t see this being very realistic. It seemed that the parent/guardians were nonexistent and these kids were making some adult decisions.

There were quite a few errors in the book. The majority of them were hyphenation of words. It looked like the words were being hyphenated at the end of the lines of writing; however, they often appeared in the middle of the line in the version I was reading. There were also a few punctuation errors. Although the book needs some editing, the issues did not take away from the reading experience.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the editing, some sexual content and graphic violence. This book is designed for young adults. I would recommend it for late teens and older. I would not want my sixteen year old to read this book although the characters are sixteen. I would also recommend the book to those who enjoy reading science fiction and enjoy reading about supernatural powers.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Post by Rayasaurus »

I really loved Adam's character development throughout the book, but I also really didn't like person he was at the beginning of the book. Thank you for the review!

Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Reynaa »

Great, thorough review! I'm intruiged by this story, though the 16 year old characters having uncomfortable relationships is putting me off a bit haha.

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I've been looking at reading this book for a while. You have brought up some really interesting points that I haven't seen before - the fact that they just hop onto planes and travel is not quite ordinary - for sure!
Thanks for this really interesting review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

Lol! Looks like the author forgot about the adult's (read parents) roles! I was wondering about this book now that its next month's botm. Thanks for your insights. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

In as much as I like fictional novels, the characters should be as realistic as possible. I'm yet to read it and see the behavior of those 16 year old. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”