Review by Aditi Sapate -- What's Your Favorite Color?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Aditi Sapate -- What's Your Favorite Color?

Post by Aditi Sapate »

[Following is a volunteer review of "What's Your Favorite Color?" by Amber L Lassiter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s Your Favorite Color? is a children’s book written by author Amber L. Lassiter. Her namesake, the protagonist of this story, has a school activity where she and her classmates have to paint a picture. The catch is, they have to include their favorite color in the painting. They also have to wear one article of clothing which represents their favorite color.

Amber is excited! When she reaches school, she finds that the classroom has been transformed. The curtains are draped with cheery colors, and there are painting workstations for all the kids. The only problem is that Amber has forgotten her paints! None of the paints in the supply closet suit her fancy. Borrowing paints from other students would put the identity of her favorite color at risk. How will Amber complete her painting? You will have to read the book to find out.

There is a lot to like about this book. First off - and at the cost of sounding like a nerd - I would like to say that the font perfectly complements the book. The second thing that I liked the most about this book is that, when Amber forgot to bring paints to her class, she wasn’t discouraged by her teacher by being thrown out of the class. Instead, she was given the opportunity to decide how to handle the situation. I think this is a really good exercise to teach kids to develop their decision-making skills.

Other than the obvious fact that this book will teach kids about colors and the effect they can have on you, I think the author tries to teach the kids a lot more than that. There are exercises placed strategically in the book, which are aimed at teaching kids to understand correlations, use logic to understand sequences, read people, read situations, analyze responses, try to understand the meanings of difficult words with the help of context and to understand rhymes. Seems too much for a mere 32-page long children’s book? Well, the author has managed to accomplish it.

There were less than 10 grammatical errors in this book, but owing to the length of the book and the fact that it consists mostly of illustrations, they do seem a lot. However, I can’t say that they hindered my reading experience. Other than this, there is nothing to dislike about the book. I would thus like to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to kids who have just started reading and to kids who can read a medium-length story. This book has a lot to offer to older kids too.

What's Your Favorite Color?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by tristenb »

It sounds like this book packs a punch. It is filled with all types of lessons for youngsters. While the plot seems simple, there is a lot to be learned. Thanks for the review!

Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:

Post by Aditi Sapate »

That is really well said! The plot is simple, which is just suitable for young kids, and the book does teach a lot. Thank you for your kind words!

AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AdamRedWolf »

This sounds like a fun book. What age range is it geared toward?

I'm surprised you have it a 4 star rating with any grammatical errors. It seems to me that a book about teaching kids lessons should have no excuse to contain errors. Especially when it's only 32 pages.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle

Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Geared toward mostly really young kids who have just started reading. While there are errors in the book, they're mostly in the acknowledgement section. And as the errors are less than 10, it wouldn't be fair to deduct a star for them (especially since I really liked the book).

MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I love the conflict set in the book. This is an amazing book to teach kids not to give up even when challenges arise. Congratulations for a well-written review.

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Millionaire's Cross by Sal Nudo

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I read this book too and loved it. I completely agree with your review. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”