Review by adamgreenrock -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Review by adamgreenrock -- Sonar The Surge by B. Truly

Post by adamgreenrock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sonar The Surge" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sonar The Surge, written by B. Truly, is a sci-fi fantasy romance about Symone and her family, Syira and Shiray, and how their relationships with their love ones were challenged and evolved in the war, between the snow-filled planet ruled by people called the Polaris and the descendant of humans who have supernatural powers called the Kadanans. The book is connected to the author's previous two books that have the same two words in the title for more insights about the characters' backstories, but the author did say that this book can be read as a stand-alone. This review will be from the perspective of not knowing the previous two books, so anything that I have problems with might've been already been answered in the previous two books.

Symone had lost everything that she loved in her past life to the point where she doesn't want to feel that pain again by not letting herself love another. But suddenly, an attractive aristocrat named Nile caught her attention. She really wants to love him with all her heart but she feared it might bring her despair again. Syira loves Kadeem, the Polaris's prince who had betrayed his own kind to get together with her. Shiray and Bryan do love each other, but their past scarred them to the point of questioning their love with one another. This book will explore their relationships and how the war has affected them, while also be filled with many intense actions along the way.

This book focuses on romance first and action second, which makes sense in the grand scheme of things when you have to develop your main cast. While I personally have my problems with the relationship aspect, I do like Shiray and Bryan's. They're the most developed relationship and the most meaningful one. The main characters are charming for the most part. I really do enjoy some of Symone's interactions with the other characters, both main and side ones. They're wholesome and it gives off the vibe of being a family really well. The action scenes are really well done and it pumps me up each time the author tells and show things that are exciting to see while also really heartbreaking in some the war scenes. The ending part of the book was sweet and it was a nice conclusion to the book. The book is also professionally edited. I've only found a couple of errors when I read it.

The main thing that irritated me the most was how some of the relationships were handled. Symone and Nile's relationship started well enough, but it felt really forced after the beginning of the book. I feel like it would've flowed naturally if it wasn't for some of the filler that drowned it from being decent at best. Syria and Kadeem are fine, but I feel like you have to actually read the previous book to get the full experience of their relationship. The same could be said for Shiray and Bryan but their past wasn't the huge factor but more of a tool to develop their relationship further. For being a heavy romance book with sci-fi on the bottom, it sure didn't make me feel for the main couples except for one of them.

All in all, I'll give this book 2 out of 4 stars. While it didn't do well with its romance, it sure did have some neat action moments even if it's pretty minimal. And the character interactions are pretty nice to see. I recommend this book to those who are above the age of 17 and would love to see some action and sci-fi elements. The romance may be a letdown, but I'm sure you might enjoy some of them.

Sonar The Surge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Snow-filled planets and supernatural powers certainly sound like intriguing elements! Although it had its weaknesses, sounds like some good story bones lie somewhere beneath. Thanks for your review!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

It sounds like most of the relationships in this book are pretty underdeveloped; for that reason I probably won't pick it up. Thank you for the review, though; it was very informative!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I’ve notice that with some stand-all es, you can still enjoy the plot but it does seem like some of the character development is missing. Thanks for the helpful review! This is one I’ll save for after reading the two books before it.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I enjoy some interesting sci-fi stories here and there, but romance isn't my favorite genre, even when it's done well, so I'll probably skip this one. Thanks for the review!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It seems a bit much to have three couples here - perhaps reading the first two books is really necessary. Thanks for the review, but this isn't for me.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This is a nice review. Too bad the author didn't handle the relationships as you expected. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The family dynamics would have made an exciting read. Its unfortunate it didn't play out. Great review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I would take action over romance. And if the romance seemed forced, I definitely wouldn't like it. I don't think this book is for me, but thank you for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”