Review by Falling4Ever -- Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Review by Falling4Ever -- Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Falling4Ever »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sundown" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Sundown, Carl H. Mitchell brings you into the world of the future. A world where fossil fuels are running out, and there is a new idea, a grid, to bring electricity back to America. In this story, you follow a cop, Nick Garvey, try and solve the mystery of who murdered the vice president. He has this gut feeling that so many things are off in this investigation, the pieces aren’t matching up, so he allies himself with some paracops and a police force and tries to get to the end of this mystery. But the further he digs, the more lives are lost. In the end, he finds all the missing pieces, but it is too late for some, who perished in the great journey to find the truth.

I loved this futuristic, crime and mystery book. My favorite parts are the action-filled, fast-paced scenes, that take you into the mind of a police officer. It perfectly resembles the chaotic life that a police officer goes through and it shows how even in the most dangerous situations, police officers have to keep a cool attitude and make sure there are no more deaths than necessary. These scenes always relay back to what Nick believes matters most, family, and his main goal is always to make sure that no one dies so everyone can get back to their families safely and unharmed.

The part that I least liked about this book is how explicit some scenes are. It almost feels like the characters know that their story is being told, so they go into huge expository scenes even though the characters that are talking don’t need to know about the information being relayed. For example, in a tape that Nick finds, it spends time telling Nick how he found the box, even though we, as readers, have already seen Nick go through all of that. It seems pointless to tell someone how to find something after they have already found it. Overall, these scenes were few and scattered, but when they did happen, the story was quick to rebound back to the more interesting, action-packed scenes.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Even though there were some scenes I disliked, it didn’t overpower how suspenseful and well written the rest of the book is. Throughout the novel, many mysteries are discovered, and all are solved, but it takes a while. Mitchell does a great job keeping everyone anticipating the next step in the investigation without giving too much away.

This book is like a well-made salad. There is the base mystery that Nick follows through to the very end of the book, which acts as the main type of lettuce. Then, sprinkled in, are more, smaller mysteries that end up tying into the main one. They get solved in their own time. Those are like the other types of vegetables that you put in the salad to make the taste more interesting. Then you have interesting details that don’t seem to make sense until the very end of the book when everything falls into place. These details act as the croutons, the surprising, yet satisfying crunch. To top it off, the sauce is the constant reminder that everyone in this story has a family, and no matter how dangerous their jobs are, they do it so that at the end of the day, they can make their way back to their loving homes and families.

I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 14, because no matter how well written this book is, it still contains some harsh language and touchy subjects that children should not be introduced to at a young age. You do not have to be a crime fanatic to read this and no real previous knowledge is needed to be able to read and understand the issues talked about in this book.

Sundown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is an interesting premise that may be closer to the truth than we care to imagine. I loved your salad analogy! That is very creative and memorable illustration! Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”