Review by shravsi -- Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by shravsi -- Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by shravsi » 11 Nov 2019, 09:43

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War, is part suspense, part crime-solving, and part romance fiction by Dorothy May Mercer. The book revolves around Cynthia’s love life and about the cyber war against terrorism.

Cynthia Patterson is chief of security and bodyguard to Senator Mike McBride, posing as his receptionist. Her work is to protect the privacy and safety of the senator with occasional help from her brother Glenn Patterson, owner of Fairfax private investigations. She heads a team called SMM’SS (Senator Mike’s Mother’s Secret Service). She has a long-term boyfriend Sergeant Dan MacIntyre, Fairfax PD.

During her work, Cynthia notices how easy it is for terrorist organizations to find believers through the internet and decides something should be done against it. So, with the help of her brother, she decides to form a group to start a cyber war against extremist groups. They recruit two young computer geniuses, Tim and Garth, to bring the cyber war into action. Will they succeed or not is the most interesting part of the book.

One day, Cynthia on her way to work is struck in a traffic jam. Due to the frenzy caused by the mysterious landing of an unmarked drone in the White House lawn. During the commotion, she accidentally meets Sky Eastman, a mysterious gentleman with perfect manners known to mankind. She is attracted to him like a moth to the flame. How their meeting blossoms further is the most disinteresting part of the story.

The book has a very good storyline and intriguing characters but the story itself needs a lot more work. There is too much melodrama for a new age book. Cynthia is shown as a highly successful security chief but during her interaction with Sky, she is foolish. I don’t know why Dan is in the title. And Sky is supposed to be perfect in every aspect but he was creepy for me, especially the next day after meeting Cynthia. Even Cynthia’s car MX-5 Miata has a more realistic character than Sky.

The expressions and emotions in the book are over the top. Sky finds Cynthia drinking water mesmerizing. Cynthia is stunned to immobility because Sky made a prayer before eating food. And I understand the author wanted to be descriptive but the description of a waitress bringing lemon and ice water is too much for me. There was no need for that or explaining how Cynthia sucked water from a straw.

Cynthia is supposed to be the lead of the book, who is exceptional in her profession and combats terrorism. But it is shown far from that. she has no significant role in the cyber war except for cameo appearances to enquire the progress. Her personal life diminished her character as a reader to me. Even the cyber war part is childish. Tim and Garth are great. I enjoy them. But I don’t believe they sabotaged an extremely powerful terrorist group without any minor sabotages and they did this discreetly under the entire highly sophisticated US secret service without arousing the slightest bit of suspicion.

I will rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This work is well-edited but the cover page is not appealing. With a little bit of more care, the novel has every chance to be a highly successful fiction. Though the book is a part of the McBride series, I didn’t find any problem in reading it as a standalone. I wouldn’t recommend this book to young adults or sensitive people because abortion is a vital topic of the book. Overall this is a nice romance tale with the cyber war concept thrown in it.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”