Review by fmd1821 -- Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Review by fmd1821 -- Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure

Post by fmd1821 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure" by Faye McFarland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even though I am a grown-up woman, I still like to read children’s books from time to time. Often, these colorful, instructive volumes leave you with a smile even if you are a little older than the ideal reader. Elizabeth Munk’s Forest Edge Adventure is a delightful story written by Faye McFarland and illustrated by Wesley Lowe that will certainly cheer you up.

Elizabeth Munk is a young chipmunk who lives with her mother and three brothers. One day, Elizabeth follows her brothers to the forest to gather some food for the pantry. It is the first time her mother allows her to go, and the adventure seems exciting. However, when the siblings come back home, it turns out that Elizabeth has collected only useless stuff – apparently.

Elizabeth’s adventure tells the readers that inexperience is not a bad thing if you are creative. Elizabeth makes a mistake when she goes home with a “treasure” made by an acorn, a glass bead, a feather, and other rubbish. However, she also shows that, if you have some creativity, you can turn insignificant objects into something special for you and your loved ones. This positive message will encourage children to find an original solution to their problems. It also suggests them to experiment with their creativity without fear.

The characters of Elizabeth Munk’s Forest Edge Adventure are as adorable as the story. Little Elizabeth is charming both for her naivety and her ingenuity, and her relationship with her brothers is typical. They do not want her to accompany them to the forest because she is "a baby" and never listens. However, they are a close family, and on the whole, they live happily together.

I have to add that the images are wonderful. Lowe portrays the characters with delicate traits. Moreover, some warm colors make both the forest and Elizabeth’s house look like welcoming places. We have the right setting for such a nice story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I am glad to add to the other qualities that it is well-edited, and I did not find a single error while I was reading. I recommend Elizabeth Munk’s Forest Edge Adventure to children between 3 and 8 years of age – and also to the adults around them. They will love Elizabeth’s delicate story, and I am sure they will read it more than once.

Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”