Review by slytherdor -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
slytherdor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherdor.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Review by slytherdor -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by slytherdor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spyder Bones" by Oliver Phipps.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aaron Prescott is a Vietnam war soldier whose term has already ended but decides to enlist again. This time, however, he enlists not as a soldier but a doctor - a medic. This puzzles most of his colleagues, and they soon start calling him 'Bones' instead of his previous moniker, 'Spider'. Aaron later uses both monikers in order to to prevent a little misunderstanding.

In Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps, Aaron experiences a mind-boggling and near-death experience. He discovers another dimension and is given a heavy task that is completely out of this world. In this realm, his the enemies are not physical, but spiritual. Will he be able to succeed on this spiritual quest, or will he face his defeat?

The book was such a light and easy read. I did not want to put the book down, as I wanted to finish it as soon as I possibly can. However, the excitement died down, and things went upside-down from the middle to end. I enjoyed reading it until I reached half of the book.

Everything was just plain and okay. The writing style, the plot, the imagery, the ending - they were all good but not great. Nothing stood out to me. There were times when the details and the humor in the book got very dry, and nothing was ever entertaining or funny at all. I expected so much more from the book, but it did not meet my expectations. The book also had a lot of typos, and I don't think that this was professionally edited.

Aside from the mediocre writing, one more thing that I did not like was the fact that there were no strong female characters. Sunny was a great help to Aaron, but instead of developing her character more, the author chose to box her in a stereotypical way. Sunny could have been so much more, but Aaron thinks she needed to be safe and should not be included in his journey anymore. While that is such a thoughtful gesture, he failed to believe in what Sunny do. The rest of the female characters in the book were, like Sunny, treated as an accessory and were discarded somewhere along the way.

Because of the points discussed above, I am giving this book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend this book, but feel free to experience it yourself. Trigger warnings include drugs and violence. It is also heavy on faith and Christianity, so if you're not into that then this book may not be for you.

Spyder Bones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”