Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- The Neighbour At Number 18 (R...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- The Neighbour At Number 18 (R...

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 07 Nov 2019, 02:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)" by Hawa Crickmore.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maria in her teenage develops love-like feelings for a child molester, Tyler Staples, when she couldn't differentiate between love and affection. To avoid this dramatic situation, she manages not to confess and confines it in a secret. On the other side, Tyler is imprisoned for his crimes and Emilia who is Tyler's cousin and Maria's friend is transferred to the Child Improvement Center of the city for her involvement. Leaving her past behind Maria chooses a challenging job in the law department and marries a handsome man Ron. Her fantasy relives in her when she learns about Tyler. The guilt of betraying her family took over her, so she must concede but will she ever brave out in front of her family? Will she really move forward and leave her virtual ecstasy behind? Even if she will, where life will lead her to?

The Neighbour at Number 18 (Reload) is a fictional novel by Hawa Crickmore. It is the story of Maria narrated by the author herself. A hint of commentary is noticeable in the text. The 216 pages of the book are divided into 20 chapters. Honestly, the moment I initiated the book I was bored with it. I eventually decided to quit it then I thought to give the ending a try and it was not much of a difference. I was still not impressed with it. Talking about the story only, it has a better start but it struggled to get a decent ending.

Maria as the main character was the only one who I could see as a personality. The other characters were underdeveloped. There were a lot of characters in the story. I felt like the writer didn't consider their detailing. They were involved in events with Maria but not in an equally satisfied manner. I wanted to read more of Ron's character. However, the author gave Emilia a happy ending. Her story was more interesting to read than Maria's.

Many concepts of the book were not given elaboration. At least the important events should be detailed like Emma's delivery (Maria's stepdaughter). It felt like all of a sudden her baby was born. Furthermore, the investigation part was good. The few dialogues in the book were boring and contained mistakes. The book has erotic content. Because of a few dialogues, the story appeared highly paced and more like an incidence.

The language is stylish and standard but with plenty of mistakes. I am not sure if the wrong version was uploaded or its proofreading was not done because a lot of grammatical mistakes, spell errors, incorrect tense, missing and false punctuation were concurrent from the beginning. In fact, the writer confused me with mistakenly typing the wrong names of the characters. I got used to them because of their consistency.

I also think that the title of the book is not justified. If the writer chose an important event of Maria's life for the title then she didn't emphasize it as such. I think the story should be focused on that event only. It lacks a cover page also. There is the usage of vulgar in the text. I could not recommend it to any particular. I do not want the readers to regret their time investment.

I can only give it 1 star out of 4 because of its poor editing, ill-defined concepts, and underdeveloped characters. Overall, the book is incomplete. No doubt the writer has the potential to give great stories but sadly it is not one of them.

The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Stepping Stones to personal Healing by Robert N Koppen, MD

Post by Prisallen » 15 Nov 2019, 15:18

This does not seem like a book that I want to read in its present form. Hopefully, the author will do some rewriting to get it more interesting and better edited. Thank you for a very informative review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 16 Nov 2019, 08:44

Prisallen wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 15:18
This does not seem like a book that I want to read in its present form. Hopefully, the author will do some rewriting to get it more interesting and better edited. Thank you for a very informative review!
It lacks a round of editing. Thanks for your comment!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: A Religion Called Love by David Trock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 18 Nov 2019, 10:31

This book has an interesting premise, but it sounds like the execution was a big mess. Thanks for a thorough review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 11:22

unamilagra wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:31
This book has an interesting premise, but it sounds like the execution was a big mess. Thanks for a thorough review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Nkoo
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Nkoo » 18 Nov 2019, 12:53

So sad you must have felt like you wasted time reading this book. Books, in my opinion, are meant to be fun and not boring. I hope the author returns to the drawing board and does the needful with his book. Thanks for an honest review.

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Last Another Day
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by tristenb » 18 Nov 2019, 14:03

You really did not like this book. I'm glad you were honest. I think it has an interesting premise, but I wish the author would have taken the time to develop the story a little more and have it edited.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 18 Nov 2019, 17:33

Your low rating of this book surprised me, but you did an excellent job of justifying your score. I hope the author will consider your insightful comments. Great review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 18 Nov 2019, 21:53

Oh dear. This does not sound like a book I would like to read. Thanks for the great review, and explaining why you gave it the rating you did. Well done!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 22:08

Nkoo wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:53
So sad you must have felt like you wasted time reading this book. Books, in my opinion, are meant to be fun and not boring. I hope the author returns to the drawing board and does the needful with his book. Thanks for an honest review.
I hope the writer to do the same. Thanks for this appreciation!

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 22:11

tristenb wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 14:03
You really did not like this book. I'm glad you were honest. I think it has an interesting premise, but I wish the author would have taken the time to develop the story a little more and have it edited.
Also my wish!
I agree the story is good but again, I am disappointed with the errors. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 22:12

kdstrack wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 17:33
Your low rating of this book surprised me, but you did an excellent job of justifying your score. I hope the author will consider your insightful comments. Great review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 22:13

Meg98 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 21:53
Oh dear. This does not sound like a book I would like to read. Thanks for the great review, and explaining why you gave it the rating you did. Well done!
Thanks for the consideration! I really appreciate your comments!

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Charlyt » 19 Nov 2019, 05:10

Seems like a book that needs a lot of work, from the character and plot development to the editing. Great honest review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 19 Nov 2019, 07:23

Charlyt wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 05:10
Seems like a book that needs a lot of work, from the character and plot development to the editing. Great honest review!
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”