Review by books_andpoetri -- Jurisdiction Denied

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Review by books_andpoetri -- Jurisdiction Denied

Post by books_andpoetri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Jurisdiction Denied" by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is the second installment in Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt's Jurisdiction series. The narrator grabs the readers' attentions quick, and we later know him as Marty Goldstein, the Supervising Judge of Sylmar Juvenile Hall. He has a huge crush on Charlize Theron and daydreams about her as he goes through case after case. We also learn about Nate Bartholomew, a Deputy District Attorney (DDA) who happens to be Goldstein's best buddy.

The juvenile cases in Sylmar keep our narrator occupied most of the time. However, later in the book he feels that he has to keep watch on one of the juvenile camps too, where some curious incidents have been going on. Unlike the comforts and familiarity he has with Sylmar Juvenile Hall, this camp investigation proves to be more dangerous for him as this involves none other than Hilda. The half-Guatemalan, half-Korean assassin whom he had encountered before and needs to take down for good.

The cases in Jurisdiction Denied were based on real events, but in order to protect the actual people involved, their names have been changed. The authors themselves were real life friends who have met in Sylmar. Gold was once a Commissioner there, while Debbaudt was a DDA. Given their credentials, the book felt very real, sometimes even heavy to digest due to the violence involved. In spite of this, the authors' sense of humor helped lighten the atmosphere in some way.

It started slow for me. At first, it was all first-person narration, and no single dialogue can be found. The book was brimming with cold logic and hard facts that the artistic touch was lost. One more thing that felt off to me was Hilda's story. I expected that she will add more flavor to the text, but she was only discussed in a few chapters. And the thrill whenever she's around was incredibly lacking.

If there was one thing I did not like the most, I'd say it's the sexism. All of the female characters in the book, despite their profession and other things they can bring to the table, were sexually evaluated for their body parts. As if that's the only reason they exist, which is definitely not.

The ending chapters were just a complete reiteration of all the points emphasized in the earlier chapters. If the author was trying to summarize the whole thing, it was truly unnecessary and was done a bit too much.

I found several typos and I don't think that this book was professionally edited. I am giving this book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. I really wish I can give this book more points because I did find it interesting. I would have recommended this to my crime thriller and action-loving friends, but I just couldn't take the perverted comments here and there.

Jurisdiction Denied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”