Review by Gathoni1991 -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Gathoni1991 -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Gathoni1991 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Apocalypse Suppression Administration, ASA, assembles a small group of people for a top classified mission. The mission involves time travel through a portal, back to the medieval Roman ages. But why? When Peter Hadrian, a cop, gets attacked by a strange creature in his line of work, the scientists' fears had come to haunt them - vampires.

Peter, Luke, Bat and Kolemis go back in time with the intention of killing Vlad Dracula, to forever banish vampires and prevent them from making it to the modern times. But not everything is what it seems and, because of an individual's selfishness and greed for power, the group's mission is at a risk of epic fail. Will they succeed and return to the present? Who is the villain that will sleep with the enemy?

Christopher J. Pennington writes a novel with a compelling and gripping plot, that will have the reader flip by pages, and not realize the story ending. The Hand Bringer tells a story of how vampires came to be, and how they were dealt with then. A historical fiction so intriguing, it is written in the third person's point of view. The setting is in medieval Romania. It is full of gore scenes and innumerable sword fights. The author writes out humorous, crisp conversations that will make the reader look forward to dialogues, especially the ones that involve the character of Luke.

The characters were well fleshed out and diverse, making the story very credible and the characters relatable. Back stories are woven into the main story seamlessly, and the plot has impeccable continuity. For a lengthy story as this, I was impressed how the number of typos were almost insignificant ( a total of two throughout the story). The story is action packed - there was never a dull moment in the plot. This is what I loved about the book and I rate 4 out of 4 stars.

The author uses a simple language ,but with vast vocabulary. He also created admiral characters - Peter and Luke. Peter was a strategist, and everything he did had to be planned. Of course this yielded the desired outcomes. He was also very courageous bordering recklessness, and had superior leadership qualities. Throughout the book his character grew and developed impeccably. Luke on the other hand never had a dull moment, even in dire situations. He was always the clown of the group. The reader will appreciate too the numerous twists, turns and layers. There was never predicting who would betray the other, this is what kept me glued to the book.

Friendship and loyalty stood out conspicuously in the story. I feel these two themes not only propelled the plot, but were initiators of the plot. Also, situations where there was lack of the two themes, spiced up the story and gave the plot depth.

There is no aspect of the book I disliked. Though I feel the concept of "seenjite" (a blood-based microorganism), got lost in the bigger story. I recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction, and fantasy novels involving vampires. The book was definitely professionally edited. Literal quality of the novel was top notch.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I haven't read a book about vampires in a long time, and this one seems to be well written with good characters and lots of twists. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a wonderful review!
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I love the way you have introduced your review. The Hand bringer is a great read and the language is topnotch. Congratulations for an awesome review.
JullyDuogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JullyDuogo »

I haven't read the book but it is nice review. Congratulations
Gathoni1991
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 13:03 I love the way you have introduced your review. The Hand bringer is a great read and the language is topnotch. Congratulations for an awesome review.
Thank you for reading and commenting in my review.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 09:21 I haven't read a book about vampires in a long time, and this one seems to be well written with good characters and lots of twists. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Trust me it is. It will take you on a ride so wild into the medieval age.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

JullyDuogo wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 03:43 I haven't read the book but it is nice review. Congratulations
Thank you...means a lot
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a really unique and well-written book. I'll add it to my list! Thanks for the excellent review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It sounds like the author did a unique twist on the typical vampire legends, interesting! I may have to take a look at this one. Awesome review!
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Meg98 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 16:58 This sounds like a really unique and well-written book. I'll add it to my list! Thanks for the excellent review.
It is an excellent read. Hopefully you get to read it. Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 23:57 It sounds like the author did a unique twist on the typical vampire legends, interesting! I may have to take a look at this one. Awesome review!
You totally should Kelyn. Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I'm reading the same writer and he is amazing in his work. I'm sure why he deserved this rating. Wonderful vampire story! I wish I got to read it. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I'm equally impressed when a voluminous book as this one has almost no error. I find vampire and Dracula stories scary. I enjoyed reading your well-written review. Thank you!
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 03:19 I'm reading the same writer and he is amazing in his work. I'm sure why he deserved this rating. Wonderful vampire story! I wish I got to read it. Thanks for the review!
Which book is that? Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Nkoo wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 12:42 I'm equally impressed when a voluminous book as this one has almost no error. I find vampire and Dracula stories scary. I enjoyed reading your well-written review. Thank you!
Thank you for the kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”