Review by Magnify3 -- Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Review by Magnify3 -- Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by Magnify3 » 04 Nov 2019, 17:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hearts Set Free" by Jess Lederman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hearts set free by Jess Lederman is a thrilling historical christian fiction novel. It is about the work of salvation that takes place in a person that delivers as well as sets hearts free.

Set between 1914 and 2011, Lederman takes you back and forth on a journey that keeps one glued to his book. One is told the story of Luke Noongwook whose father is lured away from home by a white female journalist. After many months, his mother Yura is determined to kill her husband's lover and bring her husband back home. Yura prepares for a long journey, arms herself with an ulu knife then sets out accompanied by her son. They journey from the Alaskan territory to Seattle in 1925, and to wherever news or hints of Victor Noongwook would lead them.

David Gold is a theological school dropout who took up boxing. Unable to find a satisfying answer to the will of God for his life, he will join the war and later return to boxing. When David accepts an invitation to pastor the church of an assassinated Pastor Justin James in Las Vegas, he takes Yura and Luke with him.

In the present day 2011, Tim Faber and Joan Reed are looking for material for their cable network's programme. Determined to find the missing link to the erasure of Georges Lemaître's historical scientific breakthrough, Joan must seek out a Professor Luke Noongwook.

Can David Gold's new found purpose save the church of the Heart set free? Will Luke and Yura find Victor? Will Yura kill her husband's lover? Can Professor Noogwook help Joan Reed?

The novel is filled with fascinating and relatable characters. Yura is a loyal wife. She is quiet, thoughtful and sometimes cold. She learns that the burden she carries is lifted through forgiveness. David has many questions and doubts. He has a hunger to know God and God's will as well as do it. Luke yearns for his father's love. He questions his father's love for him even if he can not bring himself to say it. Joan longs for the faith that she had as a child. Tim sees science as the answer to everything.

The narrative is both in the first person which is Luke's point of view as well as the third person. It draws you in right from the start. It is well formatted, easy to read and hard to put down. The ever changing time scenes add to the suspense.

What I liked most about the book was the vulnerability and honesty of the characters, especially in their thought process. David can look at himself and call himself a fraud as a preacher/boxer. Joan chides herself for continuing an affair as she reflects on apostle Paul's words: I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want but I do the very thing I hate. The understanding of their fallen nature and need for God is clear. The appearance of historical characters such as Albert Einstein, Georges Lemaitre and Jack Johnson alongside the fictional characters made the story almost believeable.

The book appears to be professionally edited thus I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to christians as well as anyone that enjoys reading Christian fiction.

Hearts Set Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by tristenb » 05 Nov 2019, 15:40

While I wouldn't consider myself a highly religious person, I can appreciate Christian fiction. Each of these characters has a few problems that could stray their beliefs. I wonder what will happen with each of the characters you mentioned. It sounds like an interesting book with some good themes. Thanks for the review!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 07 Nov 2019, 03:56

tristenb wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 15:40
While I wouldn't consider myself a highly religious person, I can appreciate Christian fiction. Each of these characters has a few problems that could stray their beliefs. I wonder what will happen with each of the characters you mentioned. It sounds like an interesting book with some good themes. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading my review and taking the time to comment! It is an interesting book. I hope that you get a chance to read it 😊

Bles
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Bles » 12 Nov 2019, 02:54

I love religious books especially those on salvation. This book sounds interesting or is it your review that is so convincing? :lol2: All the same, I will add it to my to read list. Nice review.
Books are beautiful.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Discipline Strategy by Timothy L Coomer, PhD

Post by Tomah » 12 Nov 2019, 12:38

It sounds like fascinating character-driven story with a fairly large cast of interesting people. I'm not sure it's for me, but thanks for the review!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: It All Comes Back to You
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by AvidBibliophile » 12 Nov 2019, 20:01

Portraying a believable "honest vulnerability" in characters is such an elusive quality sometimes, but all the more refreshing when effectively achieved! And a theological school dropout who goes on to take up boxing? Now that's not a life choice you hear every day, but this title seems to have been well received by many. Thanks for your review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 12 Nov 2019, 21:50

I'm not sure if this one is for me so I'm going to pass for now, but thanks for this great review! Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 13 Nov 2019, 09:18

Bles wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 02:54
I love religious books especially those on salvation. This book sounds interesting or is it your review that is so convincing? :lol2: All the same, I will add it to my to read list. Nice review.
Glad to hear that! I hope that you will get to read it some time soon. Thanks for stopping by!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Adventures Of Spongeball Billy by Tom Pavia (Creator)
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Nov 2019, 12:29

Handling different time settings and writing from multiple perspectives is often difficult to do well in a book. I'm glad the author handled these two aspects well enough to make them key strengths of the book. I'm inclined to try this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 14 Nov 2019, 02:01

AvidBibliophile wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 20:01
Portraying a believable "honest vulnerability" in characters is such an elusive quality sometimes, but all the more refreshing when effectively achieved! And a theological school dropout who goes on to take up boxing? Now that's not a life choice you hear every day, but this title seems to have been well received by many. Thanks for your review!
You are so right!!! Thanks for the comments and for taking time to read my review.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 14 Nov 2019, 13:36

Tomah wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 12:38
It sounds like fascinating character-driven story with a fairly large cast of interesting people. I'm not sure it's for me, but thanks for the review!
Yes! A fairly large cast of interesting people :D So glad that you stopped by as well as commented. Thanks!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 14 Nov 2019, 13:44

Ever_Reading wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:29
Handling different time settings and writing from multiple perspectives is often difficult to do well in a book. I'm glad the author handled these two aspects well enough to make them key strengths of the book. I'm inclined to try this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!
You are so right! The author did a very good old job. I hope that you get to read the book. I am sure that You will enjoy it.

Bambiears
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Bambiears » 14 Nov 2019, 20:55

This seems like a very nice read I would like to check it out, Thank you for your time and well-put thoughts on, Hearts set free.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by kdstrack » 14 Nov 2019, 21:22

Your excellent description of all the conflict in this story has piqued my interest. I like the way you have described the characters as real people struggling with their personal conflicts. This looks good! Great review.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 240
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: A Service Dog Life by Kimberly Kiely
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 15 Nov 2019, 15:02

I don't think this book is for me, but the group of characters sounds really nice and interesting. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”