Review by Michelle Fred -- The Cartel Crusher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review by Michelle Fred -- The Cartel Crusher

Post by Michelle Fred » 04 Nov 2019, 16:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cartel Crusher" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All Marnia wanted was to be a socialite, and as the daughter of the Mexican president, nothing could stand in the way of her dreams. However, fate had other plans for her. After her birthday celebration, her parents allowed her a lavish boat cruise with her friends without the presence of either of them, save for her nanny and security guards. Her parent's absence presented an opportunity for her father's political enemies to wage a vendetta against him. After watching her friends get raped and murdered, Marnia found a new purpose.

The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson is the second book in the Last Enemy series, but it is a standalone book. It is an enchanting read of non-stop action and adventures with sprinkles of romance. The fast pace ensured I never got bored on the bumpy ride filled with twists and turns.

Character-wise, Dan did a great job with the characters; they are well-rounded with sufficient backstories to acquaint the reader with them. I would have appreciated a more detailed description of the landmarks, though.

I have an affinity for novels with strong female protagonists, so it's no surprise that my favourite aspect of this novel is the feminist theme. Marnia's bravery and relentlessness in pursuing her goals are inspiring; she has an unflinching belief in her abilities.

I have a few quibbles though; the constant switch between first name and last name was confusing to me. One moment I'm reading about Santiago's conversation with Romulo, the next moment, Santiago changes to Anthony. I had to pause many times to figure out who a character is because of that. Though some readers might enjoy it, I didn't care for the detailed descriptions of the violent scenes.

That said, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting a star for the myriad of errors I spotted while reading. The tell-not-show writing style of the author didn't work for me. I prefer dialogue-driven books but there were only a handful of dialogues in the book which made it difficult to connect to any of the characters. I don't think it's worth deducting a star for as it's just a preference.

Profanity is infinitesimal; however, the plot contains rape and violent scenes. The details of the rape aren’t lurid though; but if you find the word triggering, The Cartel Crusher is not for you. That aside, the book packs enough action to keep fans of crime-thrillers yearning for more.

The Cartel Crusher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nkoo
Currently Reading: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Nkoo » 06 Nov 2019, 10:40

From your review, this must be a dramatic, fast-paced, action-packed novel. It must equally be interesting. I will consider reading it. Thanks for an insightful review!

spluficvictory
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory » 07 Nov 2019, 08:02

I think I love this book already. Fast-paced action and a strong female protagonist is a good read for me. Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 09 Nov 2019, 03:29

A non-stop action and adventures with sprinkles of romance with highlighting the working of cartel's should be quite entertaining read. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 09 Nov 2019, 16:36

I wanted to try this one, but I was unsure since it was the second in a series. I guess I should try it out sometime -- I love strong female characters! Thanks for the great review.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 185
Currently Reading: Dark sentinel
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Magic Clothesline by Scott W. Hume
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 15 Nov 2019, 18:52

The switching between names would confuse me, too. The way Marnia's cruise turned tragic is heartbreaking, but it seems to have made her stronger as a person. A strong female protagonist is always a plus for me. Thanks for the great review; I enjoyed reading it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”