Review by ivana7 -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by ivana7 -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

Post by ivana7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Finding A Job in Tough Times" by Dr. Tim Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is not easy to find the right guide books, especially in the field of education and career. Such books may be too extensive and detailed, and thus may confuse the reader. There are also some books that do not provide enough information, which is also not good for a reader who is looking for some kind of guidance in a particular area.

Finding a Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson is a book that provides information and assistance for success in employment, but also for life satisfaction in general. The author requires the reader to be fully involved in the process from the beginning of the book and assigns him the activities and tasks to be followed step by step.

I really liked the parts of the book where the author described some of his past experiences. He made it clear that no one's path is easy and that it is very important to know yourself and your desires so that they can be fulfilled in the future. I think that people like to learn from everyday life examples. That way, they can identify with those people who have experienced certain things and can see that the goals are achievable. I liked the author's exercises. Each exercise followed the last one and the whole concept really made sense. It is true that it takes a while to complete these exercises, but they are worth doing. This type of approach is perfect if the person reading this book is really focused on achieving the primary goal, and that is getting the desired job.

What I didn't like about this book is the fact that it is largely youth-oriented. College education is often mentioned and it is often emphasized that it is possible to return to college. While this may be theoretically possible, I think it is unlikely that an older person will choose this path. I think that the author in this case could have offered a bit more options when it came to education.

Overall, I don't believe that many can benefit from reading this book. I would primarily recommend it to those who are looking for a job and also to those who are not satisfied with their current job. I noticed only one typographical error, so I can say that the book is professionally edited. Taking all the components into consideration, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I think it can personally help me define my vision and goals in the future.

Finding A Job in Tough Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Based on your review the book seems quite helpful especially in the field of education and career. The author also gives some exercises to work on. Thanks for your insightful review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nkoo »

I also liked that the author incorporated his past personal experiences in the book. It made reading the book relatable. The 48 exercises are also worthwhile. I found Finding a Job in Tough Times to be a useful resource. Thanks for your review.

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: THREADS A Depression Era Tale by Charlotte Whitney
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Being laid off is really depressing, especially when your job search seems to drag on with no prospects. I can see your point about the author focusing too much on one particular age group.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”