Review by Namaste23 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Namaste23 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by Namaste23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Watchmaker's Doctor by G.M.T. Schuilling is a short, time-traveling story following Anaya, the main character, as she gets a second chance to live her life. Anaya is a doctor with bipolar II and one of her patients, Greg, gives her the opportunity to go back in time to correct any regrets she may have had. She decides to do it and once she is her younger self, she makes different decisions than she did her first time around. She has the advantage of having all the knowledge she acquired in her first life. There are some unexpected twists toward the end of the book that surprised me and this book is number one in a series so Anaya's story will go on.

My favorite aspect of this book is when Anaya is given a second chance at her life path. She does whatever she can to make her life what she wants it to be. She decides she wants to go to college instead of dropping out of high school and does everything she can until she makes it happen. She also has prior knowledge of her bipolar II diagnosis so she makes sure she gets treatment as soon as possible. This leads her to affect her whole family in a positive way in which she hadn't in her first life.

The aspect I disliked the most in this book was how little I learned about Greg. This man figured out a way to turn back time, used it a bunch of times, and then decided he was going to hand over this power to Anaya. I know that he used a special watch that he had made to go back in time, that he couldn't go forward in time and he kept going back to try to save his wife, but not much else. It left me with a few questions. Could he accomplish this by magic or some sort of portal? How come he hadn't shared this great invention with the world? Even though I didn't get to know Greg as much as I would have liked, this book was still fun to read.

The audience for this book would be adults who are interested in science fiction and mental illness. There are some instances where the reader is exposed to how someone with bipolar II thinks which was quite interesting to me. Anaya is affected many times by her mental state throughout the book and it was enlightening to see how someone with bipolar II reacts in certain situations.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 star rating. Although this was a short book, there was a lot packed in it. I enjoyed the fact that Anaya had a happier life her second time around. I also liked that all of her friends and family were so supportive of her. Overall, I was entertained while reading this book and would recommend it to anyone interested.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Katie Canedy »

Thank you for your review! I do have to agree with you about Greg. If he possessed a power like this, how did he come across it? Is there a way that he can share it? If so, how? I do feel that the author could have elaborated on this.

Since this is the first book of a series, I suppose there is still time to reveal this information!
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”