Review by Katie Canedy -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: The Comeback Coach
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Review by Katie Canedy -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Katie Canedy » 01 Nov 2019, 01:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to go on an adventure to stop a war? The risk, including getting captured and having your loved ones worry about you, is high in The Skills of the Warramunga, but certainly does not lack any suspense!

Greg Kater does an excellent job of presenting the protagonists, including Jacko, Jamie, Johnny, and Sarah, at the right time. Each character has their own personality that brought life to the adventure. Jacko and Jamie had great humor, while Johnny seemed very reserved in how he thinks. My favorite character of the bunch is Sarah. Sarah is not mentioned nearly as often as her male counterparts, but I know that without her, the team would not be as effective as it is now.

One thing that I should mention is The Skills of the Warramunga is the third book in a trilogy. However, I think that it can stand out on its own. The amount of suspense and twists throughout this story makes it very hard to put down. I read this book for over 2 hours without a break; it was so hard to put down once I started reading it! All 31 chapters of this book had something new to present in the story and kept me on my toes throughout the entire book. There are many different scenes in the book, ranging from war topics to life-threatening conditions that require exceptional survival skills. If a reader is not fond of a certain part of the book, I am certain that another part will be more appealing.

If there is one thing that I dislike, it is the mention of racism. In some scenes in the book, Sarah’s dark skin is mentioned more often than it needs to be. At the same time, this did not deter my enjoyment of this book because it was written in a time in history when saying these kinds of things were acceptable. Readers that are sensitive to these kinds of topics should exercise caution when reading these parts of the book.

I didn’t see any grammatical errors in The Skills of the Warramunga, not even a misplaced punctuation mark. It is with great joy that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction and/or history. There are absolutely no erotic scenes or implications at all, so anyone of any age can enjoy it. Greg Kater’s imagination is evident in every single part of the book, and I cannot wait to read the other two books in the trilogy.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”