Review by klbradley -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 374
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Bold by Toya J
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by klbradley » 31 Oct 2019, 14:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change is a modern-day fictional suspense novel written by Keddie Hughes. Published in May 2018, the story emphasizes some profound themes including addiction, betrayal, activism, scandal, and romance. The main character in the story is Izzy Campbell. Izzy is a mother to a teenage son, Davy, and wife to a die-hard Rangers football fan, Jim. Not only as a wife and mother, Izzy serves as a devoted volunteer for the Citizens Advice Bureau while also working towards a college degree.

While volunteering for the Citizen's Advice Bureau, a chance meeting leads Izzy to Sean, an investigative journalist devoting his time to researching the Ranger's football club. Drawn in by the excitement of the financial scandal, as well as the attractive and charismatic nature of Sean, Izzy finds herself shredded in the position of remaining loyal to her marriage or speaking out on what she has discovered. To add fuel to the fire, Izzy's attraction towards Sean increases even more by the day due to the expanding distance in her marriage because of her husband's excessive alcohol addiction.

Although I wouldn't consider myself a football fan, I am slightly familiar with the financial scandal involving the Glasgow Ranger's football club, enough so to know that the author's research appears to be well done. Along with the fictional excitement to keep the story interesting, the author did well to include historical occurrences and the influence those specific happenings had on families involved, like the Campbell family.

Despite only being approximately 300 Kindle edition words, Small Change is packed full of excitement and drama, which easily pulled me in from the opening chapter. Izzy's character was relatable throughout the story, mainly due to her genuinely compassionate heart, but also the underlying attraction to someone who could offer her something she had never experienced before. Although the sexual chemistry was palpable, the author did an extraordinary job of portraying the expandable intellectual attraction between Izzy and Sean.

I'm pleased to rate Small Change 4 out of 4 stars and can comfortably say that the story has something to offer for readers of most genres. Due to some explicit language and sexual depictions, I would only recommend the novel for mature readers. The editing for the story seemed professionally done, as there were no errors found by me while reading. The conversations and transitions between the scenes were both completed smoothly and adequately. I especially like the inclusion of a suspense/romance combination, as I truly had no idea how the main character would choose to move forward from one situation to another. Due to the extreme alcoholism portrayed within the story, I find it necessary to give a trigger warning to readers. Some of the situations may be difficult to read about for those who can relate to the occasional traumatic circumstances.

Small Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Latest Review: Bold by Toya J

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”