Review by Rachel Lea -- Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Review by Rachel Lea -- Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by Rachel Lea » 27 Oct 2019, 07:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chubby Wubbles" by M. J. Abrams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chubby Wubbles: My Pet Ferret by M.J. Abrams is a charming children’s story about a pudgy, fun-loving ferret named Chubby and his search for his lost friend, Coco.

Chubby and Coco, two ferrets, live together with their owner, Mark, and are very happy. But one day, Chubby’s life is turned upside down when he wakes up one day and finds out that Coco has disappeared. Meanwhile, Mark is too busy now at work to care for Chubby. He plans on giving Chubby away to a new owner. Will Chubby be happy in his new home? Will Chubby find out what happened to Coco and will he ever see her again?

This is a very sweet story about friendship, perseverance, and loyalty. To anyone who has never owned a ferret before, it would also be quite informative. Abrams’ prose is simple and clear, and his storyline flows smoothly. Everything about the plot and the characters just oozes cuteness.

Where I feel this book could use some improvement, though, is in the editing. I counted over ten punctuation errors, which consisted mostly of missing commas and quotation marks. I also feel that the illustrations could be improved, as well. The illustrations are a mixture of several small, simple drawings of the events described in the book interspersed with actual photographs of ferrets. This could be a style choice on the part of the author, but I wonder if larger, more detailed pictures—either exclusively drawings or exclusively photos—would be more engaging for young readers.

Overall, I rate Chubby Wubbles: My Pet Ferret 3 stars out of 4. I’m taking a star off because of the number of punctuation errors. I would recommend this book to parents with children of elementary school age; even though the writing is simple in structure, there are several words that might be difficult for younger children to read. You may find yourself wanting to adopt a ferret of your own after finishing this story!

Chubby Wubbles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by tristenb » 05 Nov 2019, 16:30

The story sounds cute and teaches some great lessons to kids. However, I don't really like ferrets. I can't really imagine wanting to read a book about them. Thanks for your review!

Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea » 06 Nov 2019, 02:50

tristenb wrote: ↑
05 Nov 2019, 16:30
The story sounds cute and teaches some great lessons to kids. However, I don't really like ferrets. I can't really imagine wanting to read a book about them. Thanks for your review!
Thank you!!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 08 Nov 2019, 16:30

It's pretty bad for a children's book to have errors like this. Hopefully the book will get edited to reach its full potential. Thanks for the review!

Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea » 08 Nov 2019, 21:16

rumik wrote: ↑
08 Nov 2019, 16:30
It's pretty bad for a children's book to have errors like this. Hopefully the book will get edited to reach its full potential. Thanks for the review!
Thanks so much for commenting! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”