Review by Bhaskins -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Bhaskins -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer is a powerful story of recovery and how addiction changes our lives. T.T. Sawyer recounts their personal struggle with addiction, the 20 years of sobriety, and then their relapse. Knowing that getting sober is hard work, Sawyer set out to find what worked best for them and discovered that it might be a different definition of sobriety. Most folks that struggle with addiction get to a point where they have two choices, get sober or die.

T.T. Sawyer is a pen name for the author as their choices around recovery are not the most popular in the addiction and recovery world. Sawyer chooses to utilize cannabis in their recovery process because it has been known to help with anxiety, cravings, and withdrawal symptoms. It’s important to note that Sawyer talks about the legality of cannabis and that they purchase it in Colorado where it is legal to do so. Sawyer has worked with a doctor, their sponsor, and a close friend who monitors use and make sure it is purely for medicinal purposes.

What I liked the most about this book is how honest the author was about their addiction, and how hard the journey of recovery is. This book was incredibly raw and open in ways that most people are not willing to talk about. It was powerful to learn how easy it was for someone who had been sober for more than 20 years could so easily relapse and how the cravings for a drink were still there and so strong. Every few pages there were cute little drawings of Sawyer and the choices they were thinking about.

What I disliked most about this book was how short it is, only 76 pages long, I wanted more! The author shared how cannabis has helped them recover and I understand that they want to avoid giving medical advice or advice on how to purchase a substance that is still criminalized in most places, but I wished for just a bit more.

Overall I think this was an excellent book and it would be helpful for anyone that is or knows an addict. I would argue that we all know at least one person that struggles or has struggled with one addiction or another. This book gives so much insight into the thought process around addiction and the lack of resources available to help folks get and stay sober. I think it might be a hard book to read if you have lost a loved one to this disease.

I give Ripcord Recovery 4 out of 4 stars. It tackles a very hard subject with honesty, open-mindedness, and in a non-judgemental tone. If more folks were able to be honest with their needs, get additional support, and confide in their peers the way Sawyer was able to, I feel that more people would be able to be sober long-term. There was only one instance of profane language and no sexual content.

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sounds like quite a powerful story. I don't understand why someone should be made to feel defensive about how they deal with their addiction. If cannabis works for this person, that should be all that matters.
Bhaskins

Post by Bhaskins »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:33 Sounds like quite a powerful story. I don't understand why someone should be made to feel defensive about how they deal with their addiction. If cannabis works for this person, that should be all that matters.
Couldn’t agree more!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Great review! It says something when you want more. It seems this book would be great for those trying to get sober and perhaps their family members as well. Since the use of cannabis is controversial, this could help ease some people into the use of it for medicinal purposes.
Bhaskins

Post by Bhaskins »

tristenb wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 16:35 Great review! It says something when you want more. It seems this book would be great for those trying to get sober and perhaps their family members as well. Since the use of cannabis is controversial, this could help ease some people into the use of it for medicinal purposes.
I couldn’t agree more! I really loved this perspective.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do think God gave us each plant for a purpose; unfortunately, it is mankind who has abused the plants. If cannabis eases his symptoms and allows him to get off his addiction, who are we to judge? It sounds like a great book. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”