Review by kperm -- The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kperm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Review by kperm -- The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Post by kperm » 19 Oct 2019, 16:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Four Hats" by Drake E. Taylor.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Four Hats written by Drake E. Taylor is about leadership in different circumstances and careers. In the book, the author tells the readers about his life experiences that helped him become a great leader and teaches how to become one as well. His method is about wearing different hats in different situations and being able to choose the right one for the moment. The four hats that he talks about in the book are the farmer's hat, the drill instructor's hat, the psychologist's hat, and the self-care hat. At the end of the book, Drake Taylor includes a subordinate questionnaire and inspiring leadership quotes. The author used a lot of quotes about leadership in the book to make his message clearer, such as "I would caution you always to remember that an essential qualification of a good leader is the ability to recognize, select, and train junior leaders" by GEN Omar Bradley.

Drake E. Taylor is a Captain in the United States Air Force, who was enlisted as an Information Manager at the age of 20. His leadership journey began in the Air Force when the Drill Instructor chose him to be the flight's Dorm Chief. Due to his military career, the author has a military point of view and approach to leadership which he applies to the corporate world. He mentions many stories that happened to him and helped him become the leader that he is today. The stories are about how his leaders behaved and shaped an example for him, and how he acted as a leader.

What I liked the most about the book is the personal approach of the author. He described and explained everything very clearly and used his own experience to show examples. Even though the book is about leadership, military, and business it was not overwhelming. While reading the book, I felt like Drake E. Taylor was having a conversation with me and not just teaching me what to do and not to do. I liked the fact that there was a slight touch of humor from time to time.

There were a few things that I did not like about the book. First of all, what was the most noticeable is the poor editing of the book. There were many typos and grammatical errors. The first typo appears as early in the book as the table of contents. There were more than 10 mistakes in the first 40 pages of the book. Another thing that I disliked was the fact that there was not much to learn. The author had a good sense of leadership but he didn't include any specific techniques and strategies to help the readers become good leaders.

I wouldn't recommend this book, as I don't think that it can benefit any reader. As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't give any strategies to help leaders improve. It just has advice from the author to pay closer attention to the workers and choose wisely when assigning projects. The only real technique that Taylor mentioned in the book is that he reads an inspirational quote at the beginning of every meeting. Overall, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I think that there is a lot to improve in this book.

The Four Hats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by nfdoughe » 02 Dec 2019, 19:52

This review was helpful, thanks! It is a shame about the book but it's nice to know a review is honest. The editing makes a world of difference for a story so it's too bad it wasn't edited that well. I like the cover and it has an interesting premise, but I won't be reading this one.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
~Oscar Wilde

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 112
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack » 02 Dec 2019, 21:32

It's really to bad this book didn't have any quality content. Your review did though!
Spencer Mack

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 03 Dec 2019, 07:54

nfdoughe wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 19:52
This review was helpful, thanks! It is a shame about the book but it's nice to know a review is honest. The editing makes a world of difference for a story so it's too bad it wasn't edited that well. I like the cover and it has an interesting premise, but I won't be reading this one.
Thank you for reading my review! I am glad to know it was helpful for you. :D

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 03 Dec 2019, 07:55

spencermack wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 21:32
It's really to bad this book didn't have any quality content. Your review did though!
Thank you for taking time and reading my review! I appreciate your nice feedback. :D

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by AntonelaMaria » 03 Dec 2019, 10:40

Thank you for your honest review!!!Tii bad the book didn't deliver the content.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by AntonelaMaria » 03 Dec 2019, 10:46

Thank you for your honest review!!!Too bad the book didn't deliver the content promised.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 03 Dec 2019, 11:27

AntonelaMaria wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 10:46
Thank you for your honest review!!!Too bad the book didn't deliver the content promised.
Thank you for taking time to read my review and post a comment! :) :) :)

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: A White Face Painted Brown
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover by Randal Betz Jr.

Post by MsH2k » 04 Dec 2019, 01:05

This is a great idea for a book - sorry the execution was not as great. Thank you for your review!

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 04 Dec 2019, 03:26

MsH2k wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 01:05
This is a great idea for a book - sorry the execution was not as great. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for reading my review! I appreciate it very much :)

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: An Uncommon Journey by Shirley Raines

Post by Tomah » 10 Dec 2019, 10:50

I've heard about different styles of leadership, though it seems the author has a novel approach to the topic. It's too bad the book doesn't give specific advice for self-improvement, but it could still be a valuable resource for leaders... as long as there's better editing. Thanks for the review!

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Post by gen_g » 10 Dec 2019, 12:14

It seems as if the book needs to undergo some deep revising. I will have to give this a pass. Thanks for the review!

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 10 Dec 2019, 13:43

Tomah wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 10:50
I've heard about different styles of leadership, though it seems the author has a novel approach to the topic. It's too bad the book doesn't give specific advice for self-improvement, but it could still be a valuable resource for leaders... as long as there's better editing. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for reading my review!

kperm
Currently Reading:

Post by kperm » 10 Dec 2019, 13:44

gen_g wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 12:14
It seems as if the book needs to undergo some deep revising. I will have to give this a pass. Thanks for the review!
Thank you! :D

Nkoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Nkoo » 12 Dec 2019, 07:04

It's unfortunate that the book fell short of expectation. It would have been a great read had the author invested more time in his book. The cover and title appear nice though. Thanks for a sincere review; I found it helpful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”