Review by BrittaniDJ -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by BrittaniDJ -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Samyann’s Yesterday, various aspects of love are laid out. The first meeting between Amanda Parker and Mark Callahan is of stellar proportions. One of those, you can’t come through it with out becoming instantly connected, moments. Or at least, that’s how I viewed it. A sky train falls from its platform and, they save each other from the resulting damage. By having them save each other, one after the other, they are immediately set on equal ground. This continues on through the book, seeing each other through hardships of all varieties. Amanda has had a traumatic life story, and Mark has to find ways of showing her he will not follow the same path of pain she has experienced. Mark has a difficult, often dangerous job of protecting others and Amanda needs to find it in herself to be the strong support he will need, so he can be the man he needs to be. It is a long and winding road and it is not always certain they will make it, with so many emotional scars, old and new, rising up against them.

The first line of the book caught me immediately: “Who needs a shrink when you have a cat?” I couldn’t help but laugh. Counselling is incredibly beneficial, but animals have that special way about them. I also love the central focus of the clock around which the characters, including the cat, revolve. A clock has so many levels of symbolism. How does time truly work on those who grieve? Or on those who love? Is the rhythm of time - the constant back and forth of the pendulum - a therapeutic tool? Or something more mysterious? I loved reading all these different aspects of the story.

I didn’t like how much swearing was in the book. I didn’t feel as though it added to the plot. As the story deals with multiple time periods, it would have been helpful to me to have the date posted at the beginning of the first chapter, among other. At the end, there were some appendices the author used for the research done, and that was very helpful when I found them.
This would be a worthy read for anyone who likes adventure, science fiction concepts of time, lives lived in multiple eras, and out of the ordinary psychological endeavours – in this story: past life retrograde therapy. There is a lot of swearing and some mild sexual content. I don’t think this book would be healthy for people under 16.

I give this story a 3 out of 4 star rating. It seemed well-edited with no grammatical or spelling errors. However, the swearing was excessive and the confusion at the beginning of the story, my fault or not, threw off the flow of reading for me. The rest of the story was beautifully detailed, and well-written. I would suggest this book to any lover of historical romance, and to anyone who loves adventure romances with unique plot lines.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”